Pekens

Sophia_luvbug

Chirping
May 14, 2022
I’m new to having ducks I have two little pecans about four or three weeks old i’ve only ever raised chickens and button quail i’m adding 1 tablespoon of Brewers yeast into one cup of their food before it gets bad to them, but one of my ducks seems to have a foot turning inward. This probably happen when he was really young since I got them when they were already a week old he also can’t stand on slippery surfaces without his legs flying out, so I’m getting yoga mats to cover my hardwood floors. But the other duck is completely fine. I’ve. Dealt with splay like before, but this is not it is there anything I can do to give him extra help but other than that he hogs the food bowl and is really healthy he works fine on surfaces worth grip to then But he also sits like this

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    296.2 KB · Views: 11
I’m new to having ducks I have two little pecans about four or three weeks old i’ve only ever raised chickens and button quail i’m adding 1 tablespoon of Brewers yeast into one cup of their food before it gets bad to them, but one of my ducks seems to have a foot turning inward. This probably happen when he was really young since I got them when they were already a week old he also can’t stand on slippery surfaces without his legs flying out, so I’m getting yoga mats to cover my hardwood floors. But the other duck is completely fine. I’ve. Dealt with splay like before, but this is not it is there anything I can do to give him extra help but other than that he hogs the food bowl and is really healthy he works fine on surfaces worth grip to then But he also sits like this
Because baby is showing signs of niacin issues I would also do a few week treatment of durvet vitamin B complex
1ml over a small treat or directly by syringe
Don’t add to water as this dilutes the proper dose
Says injectable for cattle but it’s oral for birds
Can find at local TS stores or online
This will help to fix niacin deficiencies
Continue with the brewers yeast till 12 weeks. Then do it a few times a week sprinkled in the feed
Pekins just need more
My birds are 2 years to 10 months and I still add it sprinkled in feed
I do prefer nutritional yeast myself but brewers will work

Attachments

• EFE8C08E-AA65-4170-8861-190A72694756.png
    EFE8C08E-AA65-4170-8861-190A72694756.png
    840.5 KB · Views: 3
Because baby is showing signs of niacin issues I would also do a few week treatment of durvet vitamin B complex
1ml over a small treat or directly by syringe
Don’t add to water as this dilutes the proper dose
Says injectable for cattle but it’s oral for birds
Can find at local TS stores or online
This will help to fix niacin deficiencies
Continue with the brewers yeast till 12 weeks. Then do it a few times a week sprinkled in the feed
Pekins just need more
My birds are 2 years to 10 months and I still add it sprinkled in feed
I do prefer nutritional yeast myself but brewers will work
Does nutritional yeast have more niacin in it Because if so, I’ll grab it the next time I run out

With a duck that already has trouble walking and the splaying legs you definitely need to start the liquid vitamin B that @New duck mommy 2021 recommended, in order to reverse the problem and strengthen more quickly. I'm not sure what your set-up as far as a brooder goes, but make sure it's small enough that she can easily get to food and water without walking much. You don't want to overstress her legs, while at the same time strengthening them. I would let her swim a couple times a day, maybe for ten minutes, in a lukewarm bathtub, drying her off and making sure she warms up quickly afterwards. I think you definitely should hobble her as well. I had a pekin who developed splay leg about the same age and I hobbled her, and along with the other things mentioned, she made a turnaround and after about a month was walking normally. To hobble her you can make a little loop of vet wrap around each leg, then use a larger loop to go around those loops and pull her legs into proper position. It will help if someone can hold her up as if she was standing, but support her, while you do this. I'll attach a picture of my ducks in hobbles as well as a video of my duck walking with them after she got stronger. I hope you can do these things right away, otherwise damage can become irreversible and you'll have a lame duck on your hands.

IMG_0487.JPG

Back
Top Bottom