Pen for geese?

Feathers Acres

Songster
11 Years
May 31, 2008
Michigan
Im sorting out plans for a goose pen if my eggs hatch (I hope
fl.gif
) and I have the house all drawn out, it will be 8LX4WX4H and then pen, im not totaly sure but, it will be big. I need to know how high I should make it so they dont fly out. If my eggs hatch I will have sebastopol's. Im just wondering how high do you think I should make it? I was thinking 3 or 4 feet.

Thanks!
frow.gif

-Britt

I dont have the money for anouther dog kennel, so im just making a pen. Im just wondering is 3 feet is a little to low and they'll get out. Im not particularly worried about predators since the only animals we have around here are ground hogs, those little mini ground hogs that eat insects (I forget there name, but they tear up my whole backyard, my dog caught one once, ugly little things.) and a juvenille hawk about the size of a chicken. But all my chickens are in my dog kennel covered with tarps. I can't free range either because were on a main road and im too worried about them wondering off into my neighbors yard.

Last edited:
I am new to sebs also and I am hoping mine hatch too...This is what I have for my coop...but I was building it mostly for the geese because of the work I am putting into it, but its going to be for chickens too...I am pretty sure I'll be having to use a section of that barn behind it for the geese though, but I'll try and see if they like it...you never know....

here is what i have so far...except mind is 6x4x 4(height) elevated to 2 ft(in some sections....sloped land)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=139110&p=1

Yea I think so too...but I'll give it a shot and if it doesn't work...well "live and learn" i guess...they can get set up in the barn behind it and we'll probably set up a door so they can get out...I was told maybe if i use a long ramp with rails so they don't fall off, then maybe that would work...don't know yet.

I could just lower it but I'd have to find support for it while we cut sections of the posts out and then lower it back down and screw plates on ..... i am not sure I want to do all that...but I am still considering it...

Back
Top Bottom