Persistent silkie problem

Ry123

Songster
Feb 14, 2022
California, San Diego
Hi everyone so my silkies has been having these issues where she looks like she is trying to push a egg out. Just like my previous post "silkie infection?" She had done this already 3 times and the fitst time i took her to the vet and they told me she had a bacteria infection and he felt no egg. Today marks a third time but She just laid a egg yesterday and has a full crop today and had it flat in the morning. She has been pooping and has moments of complete pause and where she wants to push. What could be going on? I do have a sperate dish of calcium for her and the others at all times.

What did the vet prescribe for the bacterial infection? Silkies are prone to vitamin deficiencies, but if they're on a good layer feed, most will thrive just fine. I still supplement with Hydro Hen (probiotic) and Nutra Drench (vitamins) about once a week each. I also put a small amount of Rooster Booster granules in their feed. Plus, I make sure they're getting black oil sunflower seeds (high in Selenium and Vit. E.)

@Debbie292d hi thank you for the response! They prescribed me amoxicillin. should I start using probiotics and vitamins to prevent this? Thank you so much for the helpful response!
You're so welcome. 🤗

I don't know that doing what I do, which many of us do, is going to "cure" whatever this hen is doing, but it sure would help build immunities regardless. Maybe if she gets a vitamin boost and probiotics a couple of times a week for a month or two, she'll get over whatever this is and stop getting it. It would be good for the rest of your chickens too.

If it's another infection you think she has now, perhaps your vet would just prescribe the amoxicillin again without having to bring your chicken in for another vet visit. If not, Chewy and other stores sell it in 100 mg and 200 mg tablets for aquariums, you'd just have to look up the dosage for a chicken.

Back
Top Bottom