Pet Pigeon/Dove Sources in PNW?

ClickerChick

Songster
9 Years
Apr 13, 2012
SE Washington State
Hello!

I'm considering the possibility of getting a pair of pigeons/doves as pets possibly within the next year or so, and have begun my research. I'm very familiar with caring for other poultry like chickens and ducks, but pigeons are new to me. I've started looking around online to see what options might be available to me once I am ready for them, particularly some of the more friendly breeds.

I'm having issues finding breeders anywhere near my area, and the websites that I do find haven't been updated in like 2-7 years. I know that there must be some around here somewhere because I remember a local 4-H junior show that I showed at several years ago featured quite a few different varieties of fancy pigeons and doves. Unfortunately, I don't think I have any way of contacting any of those people at the moment.

Aside from occasionally checking the Craigslist ads for birds in my area, are their other sources where I might be able to find people selling young pairs of pigeons/doves in the Pacific Northwest, closer to SW Washington state?

Thanks for any help!

Edit: I found an old 4-H friend who has pigeons! Otherwise I also found https://www.pigeonrescue.org/birds/available-birds/ which I know at least has some birds in CA, but that's a bit long of a drive.

Last edited:
There is somewhat a difference between pigeons, and doves. I do know that some peeps do refer to pigeons,,,,,,,, especially white ones as dove.
Domesticated doves like below
1641880349076.png

Peeps usually keep those in cages inside their homes. If they escape from cage and get to outdoors,,,,, consider them gone. :(

Pigeons that are from the Rock Pigeon family,,, can be loft flown,, and they will return to loft. Of course there are many breeds/varieties. Homing pigeons can return from long distances. Rollers, and tumblers, are show pigeons. They can be trained to return to a KIT,, or back into loft.. They for the most part will not return home if somewhat distant. Even just a few miles. That is one risk of free flying them. If there are no areal predators around,,, they will loft fly, and return. If lets say a hawk starts to chase one in pursuit,,, the pigeon may likely be able to out-fly certain hawks,,,,,,,,,,, but will get lost in process,, and will not return to loft.
Homers will usually return after a duration of time if not captured by the predator raptor.
There are roller pigeons that somehow have been bred with homing pigeons that do return from relatively shorter distances... There is no guarantee that the ones you get will have the homing instinct.
When you do decide to make the plunge,,, I suggest you get the loft, or whatever you will be using,,,,,,,, all set up ahead of time. Make sure it is predator proof from ground invaders/predators,, (especially raccoons) and cats.
I lost my last flock to cat. :hit The previous flock was taken in two consecutive nights by raccoon.:hit

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

If you can’t find a breeder, there could be domestic pigeons at nearby shelters or wildlife rehabs. There’s also an organization that will ship, Great Lakes pigeon rescue, but they will not ship ringneck doves.

Back
Top Bottom