Pheasant Blocks, Plants, and Toys

Aug 7, 2018
Northern Va
Hey y'all I have two Red Golden Pheasants (See Below, these pictures are a little old, and before they became super social with me, they are almost a year)

Well anyways we are trying to keep them more occupied throughout the day because they've started pecking each other (just a little) This is the current set up. I know it's a little bland but that's what I'm asking about. I want to add in 2 types of plants eating, and hiding. I was thinking a potted magnolia bush for the hiding one. Any other ideas? What plants do you have in with your Golden Pheasants? They seem to like to eat a local rice-type thing, what good little plants can I give them to munch on. My father loves natives so we can't have bamboo.

We are also wondering if those pheasant blocks they use to attract the wild ones to shoot would be a good snack for our pet ones? Could we put the whole block in their house and let them nibble on it when they want, or only give them clumps so they don't over do it?

Finally, what other toys can I give them for enrichment? I just painted a small Pringles can in gold and bamboo and am going to punch holes in it and put corn and hentastic treats in it so they can push it around and get treats. Would they peck at a parrot toy? What else can I give them for fun? I want them to be very happy :D
IMG_20190407_144156.jpg
IMG_20190407_142716.jpg
IMG_20190407_144156.jpg
IMG_20190407_142716.jpg

What is the square footage of the pen they are in? Looks kinda small.
I would recommend an enclosure a minimum of 100 square feet, bigger is better if possible. A better configuration would be something along the lines of 5 to 6 feet wide, 6 to 8 feet tall and 15 to 20 feet in length with a covered sheltered area.

You can plant various fountain grasses, small shrubs, large smooth rocks, stumps, limbs for perching for pheasant furniture.
If you want to give treats they should be given sparingly. I don't have any 'toys' in my pens for mine to peck at...pheasants aren't like parrots or dogs and cats.

They aren't pecking, right now is breeding season, the male is attempting to mate with the hen, it's part of his display to attract her. Depending on how 'aggressive' he is, he could injure the hen, especially if she has nowhere to go to get away from him...like perches at the highest points of an enclosure.

Back
Top Bottom