Pinning down a rooster - does it work?

We had a large Jersey giant that caught me unaware and spurred me. I had a broom handy. I picked it up and swung at him without touching him. The next week I carried the broom whenever I went to the pen. After that he pretty much left me alone.

Hey everyone!

My rooster tried to attack me this afternoon - so now I am looking up how to deal with this! I'm hoping not to cull, as I just got this roo from a friend, who said he was friendly. Up until now, he had been okay.

Does pinning him down on the ground and holding his neck down actually work? I'm not looking for what I need to do with him, just wondering if anyone has used this method and if it works.

Thanks so much!
I've had many roosters (the result of straight runs from Tractor Supply). So far, this is what I have been doing, it's worked with 4 successive roo's so I'm sharing it here: Pick him up. Don't be rough or sudden, but find a way to pick him up and tuck him under your arm like you would a toddler or a cat. Proceed to carry him around with you for about 20 minutes at a time. Try doing it a couple of times and then observe his behavior. I have found this makes them pause, their little rooster brains start considering things....:)

If he's free-range and that mean to humans the rooster dangerous to have around. He could attack a visitor or heaven forbid a child. To give him the someone else you're giving them the problem. I think chicken stew would taste really great.

Thanks everyone! I'm so disappointed that he turned out like this. I lucked out with my previous rooster, since I've never experienced this. Shoot. I guess I'll see what happens - if he gets worse, I'll have to (sob) cull. :rolleyes:
Being overwhelmed in a new place with new people and hens can trigger them.Either take the time to gain his trust and teach him to trust you or cull him and raise one of your own.( I'd train him away from the hens before releasing him)

Last edited:
Hey everyone!

My rooster tried to attack me this afternoon - so now I am looking up how to deal with this! I'm hoping not to cull, as I just got this roo from a friend, who said he was friendly. Up until now, he had been okay.

Does pinning him down on the ground and holding his neck down actually work? I'm not looking for what I need to do with him, just wondering if anyone has used this method and if it works.

Thanks so much!
I carry a small lid from a metal garbage can. I use it like my Captain America shield. The handle and size are perfect. He sees the shield and leaves me alone when I'm in the run with them.

Hey everyone!

Thanks so much!
I tried a number of methods over almost 2 months to keep my 7 month old cockerel from attacking me. I understand that he was just protecting his hens. He would be good for a few days and then find another way to attack. When he jumped up and hit me in the face, he met his maker! I have no regrets, and go through less feed.

With my rooster, what I do is pick him up and touch his face, wattles, comb, and beak. He hates that and it establishes my dominance (authority) over him. Just as a previous poster said with their method, it's only a temporary stop. Also, it only works for me. If someone else comes into my rooster's space who hasn't done this, he will go after them.

My rooster is a small guy and I'm not too concerned about him being exposed to a lot of people. I can handle him and I personally don't mind an excuse to hold him. For you, if you aren't willing to continually put time into him and have a risk of him attacking others, I would rehome him to someone who doesn't care, or cull.

Roosters who are 'friendly' are likely to attack, even if they're only 4 months old and have never attacked before in their life. Coming into maturity with hens and no fear of humans will only lead to them coming after you.

I really like the idea of touching his face and wattles. He is VERY stressed, by himself and away from his former companions if I read it right, and trying to establish dominance for survival. I have found that roos have more trouble with males, so if you have a woman who can help calm him/train him, I'd recommend it. I had one roo who didn't do much with me, but attacked every male. He was protecting the girls! But with him, I could take a foot and put it under his belly gently, then lift ant throw him a couple feet. I did not hurt him. But this embarrassed him in front of the girls and he backed off some. Remember he is 1. adapting to a new place without many skills, and 2. protecting himself. If you could give him a safe space for a little while away from the others, I'd try it. btw, I NEVER take in ONE chicken at a time. They are fiercely social and need at least one known companion or they are miserable.

Back
Top Bottom