Play fighting with young rooster - Bad idea or harmless fun?

mah38900

Hatching
Jun 18, 2023
A while back I bought a stuffed chicken and placed it near my rooster. He is about 3 or 4 months old. He mostly ignores it but on occasion he pecks at it or looks angrily at it.

Recently when he pecked it, I picked it up and play fought against him with it, having it lunge forward and dodge back, etc. I tried to keep score of how many times he pecked the toy, and how many times I was able to connect the beak of the stuffed chicken to his body. I was impressed as his agility and deftness. He definitely won this little skirmish. I thought it was fun and it reminded me of playing with a dog.

But...am I teaching him aggressive behavior? And is it fun for him or am I actually causing stress and tormenting him when I attack with the toy chicken?

A while back I bought a stuffed chicken and placed it near my rooster. He is about 3 or 4 months old. He mostly ignores it but on occasion he pecks at it or looks angrily at it.

Recently when he pecked it, I picked it up and play fought against him with it, having it lunge forward and dodge back, etc. I tried to keep score of how many times he pecked the toy, and how many times I was able to connect the beak of the stuffed chicken to his body. I was impressed as his agility and deftness. He definitely won this little skirmish. I thought it was fun and it reminded me of playing with a dog.

But...am I teaching him aggressive behavior? And is it fun for him or am I actually causing stress and tormenting him when I attack with the toy chicken?
probably not the best way to play.

Back
Top Bottom