PLEASE I NEED SOME FAST RESPONSES IF ANYONE IS ABLE TO HELP???

DarleneE

Songster
9 Years
Feb 9, 2014
Riverview, Fla
Can I give my nearly 3yo BR Hen Zimecterin Gold for TAPEWORMS,now even though she's going thru this huge molt for over a week now??? She had lost alot of weight due to what I believe was SERIOUS WORM INFESTATION after giving my 2 gals earthworms that A VET told me were great for them but never told me about all the parasites they carry!!! I should have researched it fully but he was A VET.. that's what I get for trusting!!! I LOST my precious little EE i loved so very much in June to the same issue I'm just sure of it. It's a long story. But anyways this one also had lost alot of weight..went from probably near 7lbs to 4.6lbs in less than a month!!! She was treated with safeguard and she went immediately back up to 5.4lbs I think it was, don't have the chart in front of me. Well I actually overdosed her with misinformation. I gave her 1ml instead of a 1/2ml!!! But hey, it must have helped her because the weight came on and the appetite also, big time!!! However after about 3 weeks of the final second set of worming her, again she started heading down in weight again??? Not drastic but an ounce or two week yet she eat eating like a pig!!! Eating ALL THE TIME!!! THEN, i began to notice that she'd go to roost with A HUGE HUGE CROP just FULL of food,yet in the morning there was less and less poop each day to pick up??? Where was all this going??? So at the advice and with the help of this WONDERFUL WOMAN ON HERE... though I don't say names,she had also had me treat her for coccidosis after the Safeguard BTW. But then I told her about the poop thing and she immediately told me we must treat for tapes right away. So I did. But only did the one treatment for the 2 days and then she began molting something fierce and I got scared to give her the second treatment as it's very strong and is used on horses??? My great helper is away for a few weeks and I'm just LOST??? SHOULD i treat her even while molting this way and not in the greatest of health yet either??? And should I do it 2 days then AGAIN in 10 days being as I only gave them 2 days worth and didn't do the second treatment which was due now about a week or almost a week ago??? Btw, after that first treatment for the 2 days though she DID gain a few ounces.. They BOTH did. I got A Black Australorp after losing my sweet little Livie cause Daisy was so alone and depressed. The Aussie was a juvenile at 18 weeks when we got her. She of course has been treated for all as well and now it's HER I'm actually also worried about cause she didn't poop but a teeny drop last night and did the oddest thing I've ever seen??? She goes crazy when it's time to lay an egg??? I think it is because she was used to full freedom when we got her... loose in a yard with a hundred others!!! Here they have a coup for the two built inside our huge screen porch with bedding all around it. It's on just about almost 1/2 of the porch fenced in there. They have LOTS of room but we also even let them have the ENTIRE rest of the porch which is a tile floor. Lots to clean!!! Lol They go out to a fenced in run in our backyard daily providing we're not having hurricanes!!! We're in Florida. So anyways all that being said, I think she wants to be free outside where we have sooooo much landscaping and shrubs and even big trees to lay her eggs??? It's just the way she acts. There are FOUR nests for the TWO hens in the porch!!! Anyways last night she was in a nest at 8:30 in the pitch dark laying an egg????? Do chickens do this??? The egg was perfect, hard shelled and beautiful color and everything. But after having laid at nearly 6:00 the day before she should have skipped yesterday right??? That's how the other 2 always did and have done???

So PLEASE, if anyone can answer these questions for me I'd be indebted for life as I really want to give the Zimecterin Gold to them because I think they really need it before my young Aussie starts to get sick as well. But I don't want to give it to my BR if it'll harm her due to being in such a weak state right now.
Thank you sooooooo much ahead of time for any help you can offer me.

AustralorpsAU,

Thank you so much as you're the only one to even respond so I appreciate it greatly... I REALLY do. However due to the very fact that noone has offered any help, is the very reason why I really hate to just outright start bothering individuals who may probably have the correct answers but had they wanted to help, they'd have responsed, at least that's how I see it. So I'll have to research, research, research, pray alot and hope I find the right answers IN TIME... rather than the too little too late happen to me yet again. Meaning I've already lost my most precious, beloved and sweetest little chicken and I DID RESEARCH, RESEARCH AND MORE RESEARCH. However, I went in the wrong direction because I trusted a vet who charged $200, did nothing to help, took in a fecal sample without ever explaining that it had to be taken in within 30 minutes of being expelled by the bird and could clearly see there was old even dried out feces in the bottle..BUT as the ofc itself told me when I called to ask, to "pick up all I could find on the ground and bring it all in", that's what I did. So they took it in, tested it and told me it was "ALL NEGATIVE OTHER THAN FOR A TAPEWORM THAT WAS "VERY COMMON" IN NEARLY ALL CHICKENS AND SHE DIDN'T REALLY NEED TREATMENT FOR IT"!!! I kid you not. So YES... I dropped the ball. I dropped the ball for TRUSTING A LICENSED VET to provide my chicken with proper care, and not going behind his every word and googling EVERYTHING HE AND HIS OFC TOLD ME!!! But HAD I DONE THAT.... I have NO DOUBT she'd still be alive because I'd have either taken in A PROPER FECAL SAMPLE OR IN FACT PROBABLY JUST HAVE TREATED HER WITH WORM MEDICATION... which was what I did IMMEDIATELY WITH THIS POOR CHICKEN which was what this awesome woman on here instructed me to do right away. SHE was the one who told me that TAPES ARE NOT COMMON IN ALL CHICKENS AND IN FACT MUST BE TREATED... AND FAST!!! Oh how I wish so that she weren't away at the moment, though I pray she's getting some much needed rest!!!

So, you see, I can never stop blaming myself for losing my other chicken. I was ignorant looking back cause worming her would have been the most common and easiest thing to have done??!!! But since a "vet" told me there weren't any worms other than A Tape that they don't even treat.. I just turned the other cheek and began looking in every direction other than the one that would have been most obvious to most... but I guess I'm either slow, too trusting or BOTH!!! LOL

Sorry for another loooong story but I guess I'm just so angry at myself for losing my beloved girl, that the anger just takes over. But if it's any help to you, kind enough to offer some type of help, my gal is actually doing pretty good. Her molt is FINALLY slowing down so she's nearing the end of it and I plan to redo the treatment with the Zimecterin in just a couple days. She's also actually gained another couple ounces in about 3 or 4 days... I know not alot, but ALOT BETTER THAN LOSING right??? So I think she's gonna be just fine and with a couple extra prayers!!!

Again, thank you so much for reaching out. That was very kind. By your ID it seems your an Aussie lover too??? What GREAT birds btw!!! Ebby is my first and probably my only as hubby won't let me have more than 2 hens. I am truly in love with her. She is the sweetest girl. Jumps up on my lap, even let's me rock her like my beloved girl .. Who loved it so much she'd fall asleep in my arms!!!

Well best of luck to you and your flock and thanks again!!!
D

Oops,

And BTW Wyorp Rock HAS responded and helped me before BTW!!! So she's probably away or just busy cause I know she'd have helped had she could!!! I am sorry it didn't come to me right away but I'm just terrible with these ID's!!! So I just wanted to make that known as I would not want any offense taken as that person is always very helpful and I've seen her write to many others to help as well. The other person sadly I'm not familiar with and thus don't wish to bother like I said above.
OK goodnight and thanks again!!!
D

Take a deep breath. Molting hens lose weight. They also eat a lot. Think about. They are quite literally regrowing every single feather on their bodies. That requires a lot of energy and feed. You can help get them through the molt by offering them a feed that is about 20% protein content and lots of high protein treats like tuna, meat, and bugs. If you want to try a natural deworming method, offer them the insides of a winter squash. The seeds, when digested, produce a chemical that naturally kill intestinal worms.

AustralorpsAU,

Thank you so much as you're the only one to even respond so I appreciate it greatly... I REALLY do. However due to the very fact that noone has offered any help, is the very reason why I really hate to just outright start bothering individuals who may probably have the correct answers but had they wanted to help, they'd have responsed, at least that's how I see it. So I'll have to research, research, research, pray alot and hope I find the right answers IN TIME... rather than the too little too late happen to me yet again. Meaning I've already lost my most precious, beloved and sweetest little chicken and I DID RESEARCH, RESEARCH AND MORE RESEARCH. However, I went in the wrong direction because I trusted a vet who charged $200, did nothing to help, took in a fecal sample without ever explaining that it had to be taken in within 30 minutes of being expelled by the bird and could clearly see there was old even dried out feces in the bottle..BUT as the ofc itself told me when I called to ask, to "pick up all I could find on the ground and bring it all in", that's what I did. So they took it in, tested it and told me it was "ALL NEGATIVE OTHER THAN FOR A TAPEWORM THAT WAS "VERY COMMON" IN NEARLY ALL CHICKENS AND SHE DIDN'T REALLY NEED TREATMENT FOR IT"!!! I kid you not. So YES... I dropped the ball. I dropped the ball for TRUSTING A LICENSED VET to provide my chicken with proper care, and not going behind his every word and googling EVERYTHING HE AND HIS OFC TOLD ME!!! But HAD I DONE THAT.... I have NO DOUBT she'd still be alive because I'd have either taken in A PROPER FECAL SAMPLE OR IN FACT PROBABLY JUST HAVE TREATED HER WITH WORM MEDICATION... which was what I did IMMEDIATELY WITH THIS POOR CHICKEN which was what this awesome woman on here instructed me to do right away. SHE was the one who told me that TAPES ARE NOT COMMON IN ALL CHICKENS AND IN FACT MUST BE TREATED... AND FAST!!! Oh how I wish so that she weren't away at the moment, though I pray she's getting some much needed rest!!!

So, you see, I can never stop blaming myself for losing my other chicken. I was ignorant looking back cause worming her would have been the most common and easiest thing to have done??!!! But since a "vet" told me there weren't any worms other than A Tape that they don't even treat.. I just turned the other cheek and began looking in every direction other than the one that would have been most obvious to most... but I guess I'm either slow, too trusting or BOTH!!! LOL

Sorry for another loooong story but I guess I'm just so angry at myself for losing my beloved girl, that the anger just takes over. But if it's any help to you, kind enough to offer some type of help, my gal is actually doing pretty good. Her molt is FINALLY slowing down so she's nearing the end of it and I plan to redo the treatment with the Zimecterin in just a couple days. She's also actually gained another couple ounces in about 3 or 4 days... I know not alot, but ALOT BETTER THAN LOSING right??? So I think she's gonna be just fine and with a couple extra prayers!!!

Again, thank you so much for reaching out. That was very kind. By your ID it seems your an Aussie lover too??? What GREAT birds btw!!! Ebby is my first and probably my only as hubby won't let me have more than 2 hens. I am truly in love with her. She is the sweetest girl. Jumps up on my lap, even let's me rock her like my beloved girl .. Who loved it so much she'd fall asleep in my arms!!!

Well best of luck to you and your flock and thanks again!!!
D
Sorry that she passed! I wish i could have helped! Next time try sending a private message to @Wyorp Rock or somebody else who you see answers the emergency thread often and they will usually respond quicker! Again sorry for your loss!

Hey Junebuggena,

Thanks for writing. Nope, no deep breaths needed here... Lol
I'm good there although I know I sound pretty desperate but I guess it's just a reaction to losing my most precious little chicken most probably.. NEEDLESSLY. Think about it.. that HURTS.

SO, anyways yes I'm aware of the loss of weight with molting, the huge need for protein, the large appetite, etc etc etc. However this IS NOT when she lost weight. She lost the weight in the end of May... I lost Livie on June 4th. This isn't something that began with her molt. It's ONGOING. With the molt, I've already got her on the higher protein feed and give her lots of extra protein daily pretty much in her afternoon treats they both get everyday anyways. SHE just gets more protein now is all. So that is all fine and there are no worries there. MY QUESTION OR CONCERN is can I give her this medicine she needs badly while she's molting this heavily?? It's called Zimecterin Gold, for Tapes we already know she has, proven by fecal exam way back last year, just never treated due to what the vet told me which I wrote above. I didn't know what he said was not correct!! I was too trusting.

So, in speaking with this friend who is away now, but has helped me so much, (such as by letting me know to begin with that NO.. tapes are NOT common and present in most all chickens and that she needed this med right away!!!)... I was telling her about how well she's eating yet not gaining and in fact starting really slowly to go DOWN in weight again in fact and that although her crop is so full when she goes up to roost it looks like it'll explode, yet come morning there is very very little poop under where she roosts anymore.. VERY UNLIKE HOW IT'S ALWAYS BEEN??? I was concerned, so like I said, I asked her about these things and she immediately made perfect sense!!! The Tapes are eating what she eats, thus she's NOT getting her proper nutrition plus why she's not pooping the food out.. THE TAPE ATE IT!!! Lol

So, great, I FINALLY had an answer to sooooooo much. I began the treatment and gave her the first 2 days of the medicine. She goes into a light molt.. a few feathers drop and it's over??? OK no worries. So now I have to wait 10 days to repeat it and BAM she goes into this FULL HUGE MOLT now just when it's coming up on the time to give the second 2 days of the medicine!!! THAT was my question or concern. Can or should I give it anyways with her molting this bad and STILL quite underweight as she's still SLOWLY trying to gain her weight back yet struggling with these parasites inside her causing all this havoc!!! Or do I wait till AFTER the molt ends and start again??? Well,the time frame passed and I never found out really what I should do, so I decided to wait and start again when this molt is over. So that was the whole thing really.

Oh and I had also asked if anyone had ever had a chicken lay an egg at 8:30 at night in the pitch dark night??? I know they do sometimes lay a fluke or soft-shell egg during the night but I've never had one lay a perfectly beautiful egg like my Aussie did the other night??? I was just curious to hear if others have had this happen???

Well thank you for writing and I hope this explains better. Thank you for trying to help however... it is very appreciated.
D

Sorry for misunderstanding your first post. You made seem like the weight loss just happened as a result of molting.
Most people that choose chemical dewormers treat during molt. Since the birds aren't producing eggs anyways, there is no worry about with drawl period.

Junebuggena,

Hey now NO NEED FOR ANY APOLOGIES!!!
I'm the one who probably didn't write it clear where you could understand. Lol Believe me it's not beyond me to do that!!! Lol

Thank you for the info!!! Now I'll know for next time.. though I pray there IS NO NEXT TIME!!! I've already missed the 10 day mark now anyways though and I'm happy to report that FINALLY there were hardly any feathers all over today so I'm pretty sure she's about done with the molt thank heavens cause it looked like a chicken exploded every morning out here!!! Hahaha Bless her heart!!!

Oh and BTW I forgot to thank you for telling me about the winter squash. I had heard something about that but never really knew the details so that was very helpful and again.. THANK YOU.

HAVE A GREAT EVENING AND THANKS AGAIN!!!
1f496.png
1f49c.png
1f496.png
1f49c.png
1f496.png

Back
Top Bottom