Polish Hen Stopped Laying

Abby3465

In the Brooder
Nov 19, 2023
Dunnellon, Florida
Hi all. I have a young Polish hen (Phyllis Diller) that started laying early, then all of a sudden just stopped. Based on my research, Polish hens typically begin laying somewhere between 20 and 22 weeks.
Here's the exact information.
She laid her first egg Oct. 27th. She was 19 weeks at that point. I also want to mention that, prior to this date, she was very hormonal and very snotty. After she layed that egg, she became the sweetest hen ever!
She continued to lay the average (3-4 eggs) for that next week (29 Oct-4 Nov). She was 20 weeks old then.
She layed once more on Nov 6th. At this point she was 21 weeks.
She has not layed an egg since. It's been 13 days counting today. She is now 23 weeks.
She isn't displaying any signs of being egg bound. She's acting perfectly normal. Eating, drinking, foraging like normal. Other than the fact that she's becoming snotty again, pecking and, what I refer to as, growling at me again, and her wattle has also gone pale again, she's perfectly normal.
We live in west central Florida. It hasn't even dropped below 45° at night yet. It's been anywhere between 65° to 80° during the day.
Anyone with polish hens ever run into this starting (so young) and then stopping again? I just want to make sure this behavior is normal so I can stop worrying about her. Thanks in advance for the help.

Attachments

• 20231119_163140.jpg
    20231119_163140.jpg
    678.3 KB · Views: 53
Two things leap to mind. Assuming she is not displaying any other potential health issues, then molting will halt egg-laying until the feathers have regrown. Also, shorter days as winter approaches will generally stop egg-laying for the winter, though some young hens will lay through winter.

New layers are temperamental. They can lay on and off. This time of year, hens usually stop laying. Some pullets keep going, but some do stop. Your girl may very well be one of those pullets who stop

Two things leap to mind. Assuming she is not displaying any other potential health issues, then molting will halt egg-laying until the feathers have regrown. Also, shorter days as winter approaches will generally stop egg-laying for the winter, though some young hens will lay through winter.
Thanks for the input! I'd be inclined to go with the shorter days theory. Although, the other 2 current layers are a week younger than her and they've been laying non stop and still are.

None of my birds are molting. They're all the same age. Every thing I've read says I shouldn't expect a molt until this time next year based on their age. Is that not true? 🤔

New layers are temperamental. They can lay on and off. This time of year, hens usually stop laying. Some pullets keep going, but some do stop. Your girl may very well be one of those pullets who stop
Well that's a relief to hear!! I had actually read that. It was just so strange to me that she started and stopped within such a short period of time. I suppose I'm just going to quit stressing so much and just let nature takes its course.

Just part of the newbie learning process, much like how people stress out much more about their first child than later ones. :)

PS- I recommend you put your general location in your profile. It will make it much easier for people to answer any questions that are location/climate related as you continue on BYC.

Well that's a relief to hear!! I had actually read that. It was just so strange to me that she started and stopped within such a short period of time. I suppose I'm just going to quit stressing so much and just let nature takes its course.

It's stressful, I get it. If she's acting fine, I wouldn't worry. Be glad that you've got two girls still giving you eggs!

Back
Top Bottom