Poor duck won't stop crying for her duck friend that died

Be sure to let us know how their first meet and greet went. It may take a few days to a week before they become friends but it will happen ducks need other ducks to be happy.
They absolutely fell in love with each other, They started quacking together and shared food When we got Abigail, our newest duck name, I held her steady so they could interact through there and immediately she broke out of my hands and went with Margarito, They started showing wings, wagging their little tail feathers, I have never seen Margarito so happy before, Thank you for your suggestions people!

Hello, So I just want to make this simple, a week ago one of my ducks died, She was a call duck and the first duck we ever had her name was Patitas, When we bought more ducks the second one we got was a Rouen duck her name is Margarito When we got her she was like a baby still, she squeaked, she was small, had little feathers and such, We first introduced her to our other duck and she fell in love since she was still a duckling and a baby she would follow the other around like it was her mom, However fast forward on Feb 6 Patitas died and I was sad but Margarito was even sadder, Shes has grown now but she still cried out for her, Margarito won't stop screaming for her and will not come near me, she cries repeatedly, she calls out to her, and to make sure we played audio of patitas quacking and sure enough, Margarito called out for her and thought she was around along with that she won't hop in the water, Mostly because she would only go in it if Patitas was in it how do we get her to get over her? Should we just wait it out? Get another duck?
this is tragic. buy another duck!

She'll get over it. Amy new birds should be completely quarantined for at least a month.
I do not quarantine new ducks from a known healthy source. I rehomed 2 laying pekins from a friend to my son's pekin flock last September, I kept them for a week and as they were obviously, as expected, healthy ducks, we then transferred them to my son's. He is a duck keeper of little patience and he just put them in the back garden with his ducks without even doing see but no touch. I do not recommend omitting see but no touch, but he had no problems with the new girls and his flock. By the end of the day, they were part of the flock and followed them into the coop. The new girls stayed close together and were a little smaller than my son's larger female. But after 4-6 weeks it was virtually impossible to distinguish the new girls from his original duck. His other duck is a crested and so we know who she is and she's a very noisy little girl!

@WaterfowlsPoultry please get two new friends for Margarito, so that you are not left again in the situation of having a single heartbroken duck when one passes.

@MargaritoPatitasRocky I personally would not want a cayote near my chickens. once the cayote is hungry and determine, it will take a chicken even if all the rest go on the attack

I do not quarantine new ducks from a known healthy source. I rehomed 2 laying pekins from a friend to my son's pekin flock last September, I kept them for a week and as they were obviously, as expected, healthy ducks, we then transferred them to my son's. He is a duck keeper of little patience and he just put them in the back garden with his ducks without even doing see but no touch. I do not recommend omitting see but no touch, but he had no problems with the new girls and his flock. By the end of the day, they were part of the flock and followed them into the coop. The new girls stayed close together and were a little smaller than my son's larger female. But after 4-6 weeks it was virtually impossible to distinguish the new girls from his original duck. His other duck is a crested and so we know who she is and she's a very noisy little girl!

@WaterfowlsPoultry please get two new friends for Margarito, so that you are not left again in the situation of having a single heartbroken duck when one passes.

@MargaritoPatitasRocky I personally would not want a cayote near my chickens. once the cayote is hungry and determine, it will take a chicken even if all the rest go on the attack
We will definitely be getting more ducks, the coyote situation will be under control as we will make a run that is predator proof and fences around, thank you for your suggestions!!

Back
Top Bottom