Possible Fowl Pox?! NEED HELP

arazla

Songster
Apr 18, 2023
Hudson Valley, New York
Hello, I posted this is in the FB group, but I really need more info. One of my hens came down with a swollen eye lid on one side and now has just the tiniest little bump. Some of my roosters have tiny black spots on their combs. I don't see anything in their beaks so far and one of my roosters has no black spots that I can see. There has been a lot of rough housing as they're 17 weeks old and I have an equal amount of hens and roosters at the moment, so I was thinking at first this could be injuries.
1. If this is early fowl pox, is it too late to vaccinate the chickens I don't see anything on?? Some things I've read say only up to 16 weeks.
2. The chicken chick's blog recommends 1/2 tsp of potassium iodide per one gallon of water for fowl pox, but someone whose really into iodide and has been researching it said that would be a lot even for a human. I can't find any literature on this. Anyone have some info on iodide dosage for chickens?
3. Anyone ever use online vet telehealth? The nearest poultry vet is quite far.
Thanks so much. Hoping to prevent further spread if this is what I think it is. Lots of mosquitos here.

Attachments

• asher comb.jpeg
    asher comb.jpeg
    674.9 KB · Views: 133
  • calico 7.8.23.jpeg
    calico 7.8.23.jpeg
    551.6 KB · Views: 13
  • owlsey comb.jpeg
    owlsey comb.jpeg
    709 KB · Views: 13
So far, I would say that it may be pecks or fly bites, but no fowl pox. So I would just watch for more signs. They get beige macules or papules which then turn into pustules and brown scabs. The scabs usually clear up without treatment in 2-3 weeks. Some do paint Betadine on the scabs, avoiding the eyes, to dry them up. There is no treatment for fowl pox virus. Up north, I probably would not fool with getting the vaccine or giving it to them. If it turns out to be pox, you may not see anything but a mild case. I live in the hot and humid Ohio valley, and when I had many chickens, I saw exactly 1 fowl pox scab on one little chicken.In tropical regions and in the gulf states and Texas, they see some very bad cases where the vaccine might be a good thing.The link below has some good pictures of fowl pox:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/fowl-pox-prevention-treatmen/

So far, I would say that it may be pecks or fly bites, but no fowl pox. So I would just watch for more signs. They get beige macules or papules which then turn into pustules and brown scabs. The scabs usually clear up without treatment in 2-3 weeks. Some do paint Betadine on the scabs, avoiding the eyes, to dry them up. There is no treatment for fowl pox virus. Up north, I probably would not fool with getting the vaccine or giving it to them. If it turns out to be pox, you may not see anything but a mild case. I live in the hot and humid Ohio valley, and when I had many chickens, I saw exactly 1 fowl pox scab on one little chicken.In tropical regions and in the gulf states and Texas, they see some very bad cases where the vaccine might be a good thing.The link below has some good pictures of fowl pox:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/fowl-pox-prevention-treatmen/
Thanks, that's reassuring. I'm sure hoping it's just peck marks. I saw that lady's blog, but can't really tell because I'm not sure if it's showing early stages compared with later stages. I haven't seen any papule or pus. We do have quite a lot of mosquitos here though. Lots of rain lately, foliage and lakes nearby. But are they too old for vaccination anyway?

Looks like peck marks on the combs of the cockerels and the same on the eye of the pullet. It may be time to separate most of the cockerels from the pullets.
Thanks, that's what I'm wondering. They've been such a sweet little flock, but definitely seems like the stakes are getting higher. No one is missing any feathers or showing obvious injuries except these black marks that worry me. Our run is about 170 square feet. 4 hens/4 roos. We let them into an outer run we had initially designed for goats a few hours each day, which adds at least another 500 square feet. Would you recommend separating the roosters or possibly just extending the inner run and getting more hens?

This picture off the internet shows the early pox that turn into scabs. As far as fowl pox, if you Google pictures, it can look different in every bird, possibly because there are different strains.

1688867429223.jpeg

Fortunately I don't remember seeing that. But I did notice some white powdery textures on their combs. You can kind of see it in the pic of my hen. From a quick search, looks like either dryness or fungus.

Hello, I posted this is in the FB group, but I really need more info. One of my hens came down with a swollen eye lid on one side and now has just the tiniest little bump. Some of my roosters have tiny black spots on their combs. I don't see anything in their beaks so far and one of my roosters has no black spots that I can see. There has been a lot of rough housing as they're 17 weeks old and I have an equal amount of hens and roosters at the moment, so I was thinking at first this could be injuries.
1. If this is early fowl pox, is it too late to vaccinate the chickens I don't see anything on?? Some things I've read say only up to 16 weeks.
2. The chicken chick's blog recommends 1/2 tsp of potassium iodide per one gallon of water for fowl pox, but someone whose really into iodide and has been researching it said that would be a lot even for a human. I can't find any literature on this. Anyone have some info on iodide dosage for chickens?
3. Anyone ever use online vet telehealth? The nearest poultry vet is quite far.
Thanks so much. Hoping to prevent further spread if this is what I think it is. Lots of mosquitos here.
That's from mosquitoes. First time I saw it, it scared me. Now I do everything to repel the mosquitoes like putting different herbs in the coop and I grow citronella around it.

Back
Top Bottom