Predator ideas?

ChickyWhicky

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
May 19, 2022
Iowa, USA
This is my first predator attack on a chicken. We have an outside dog that does a good job at keeping predators at bay (and killing them). However, sometime yesterday something got to one of my hens. Unsure what time this happened but fairly certain it was close to late afternoon/dusk. She made her way to the coop for bedtime and we discovered she was injured. The injury was at the neck only. The neck was basically shredded. I did not take photos because it was late at night and disturbing. I can only describe it as shredded, as there was pieces of neck just hanging. Blood everywhere. I am unsure how she was still alive, to be honest. We decided to put her down as the injury was so severe.
I found animal fur near some trees at the back of our property and wondering if it was related. The only other clue I have is that the dog was after something in a tree near the coop (assuming around the same time the attack happened or had happened). We could not see anything in the tree but he was sure there was something up there. That made me think maybe an owl? Or maybe a racoon or possum? Posting pictures of the fur I found, which may or may not be related. Let me know what you think, just super curious as to what got her.

1000005340.jpg
1000005339.jpg

Probably a raccoon they like to try and rip the heads off so that would be consistent with the neck injury. Also could be a possum, if the attack was around dusk that is when they start coming out. I'm sorry that happened to your chicken and you had to go thru that. Very tough situation to have to deal with. You have my sympathies.

Thanks for the reply & kind words. I do think it was a raccoon or possum, makes the most sense. In fact, I think the dog interrupted or happened upon the tussle and then chased it up the tree. Not sure a hen would survive that alive without intervention. 🤷‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom