Predators and hens that now won’t sleep in their coop

I’ve been doing the “tuck them in every night “ only because of it being so cool and wanting them to be warm. I have reinforced all of my wire apron, that I have around the run and feel comfortable leaving them out of the coop, with access to go in if they want too. The only reason I want them to go in is because I go away just about every weekend and my kids go out to shut the door for the coop, but don’t feel comfortable putting them in the coop themselves. I did read somewhere that if they don’t have a place to roost in the run, they might start going back in again. I agree it may be too small for them to locked in all day n night for a week. So I’m not comfortable with that scenario. So next weekend I will be home and will be removing all roosting areas to see if they will go back in on their own.
Tho it does seem there isn’t much room inside the coop. I have two roosting spots that are in the peak of the coop and two sit up there at night and two are on the bottom, they do get comfortable in there. Thank you for your advice and responses. I’ll definitely keep everyone posted!
Maybe you can look into getting a bigger coop in the future, but that all sounds good in the meantime. Just write back here or start a new thread if you need anymore help.

Maybe you can look into getting a bigger coop in the future, but that all sounds good in the meantime. Just write back here or start a new thread if you need anymore help.
Thanks. Input a thermometer in the coop last night and it got down into the 40’s here last night n it was 60 degrees in there at 6 am this morning. I am in the process of making an addition to the coop, just to be safe. Thanks again!!

Back
Top Bottom