Preparing for the first eggs

LER23

Songster
Aug 21, 2023
Willamette Valley, Oregon
So I now have 2 pullets that are getting ready to lay their first eggs here in the Willamette Valley, despite the shortened days. I say this because they have allowed me to touch them, doing their submissive squat-they usually shy away from being handled. I couldn't check their vent or measure between the pelvic bones, so no, not sure it's imminent, but an egg is in my futre, I am sure of it now.

I am trying to make sure that they have places to lay their eggs that they like, and I can find. We built nest boxes into the chicken house, but I think they were poorly placed. I am building some nest boxes I can put both inside their run and outside where they free range. Should I put them up on a fence, a bit above the ground? Or on the ground? Obviously I will need to keep them dry, the ones I put out in the yard where they free range.

And is there any behavior I should watch for? They have changed the order of roosting, which I find interesting...and I'm watching for other changes but don't know what, if anything, I should be watching for. Any suggestions?

I would only keep nest box inside your dry coop. They should have easy access to it at all times. Chickens do like a private spot to lay their eggs. For new layers, a additional simple box with some bedding in the far corner on the floor of coop works just the same. Peeps like to raise their nest boxes inside coop, for a couple of reasons.
Easier for person to get the eggs. :yesss:
The space under nest box is additional floor space for chickens to utilize, when locked inside. (like during foul weather,). :frow
Keeping in your run,,, and dealing with possible precipitation is not ideal at all. JMO.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and:welcome

I would only keep nest box inside your dry coop. They should have easy access to it at all times. Chickens do like a private spot to lay their eggs. For new layers, a additional simple box with some bedding in the far corner on the floor of coop works just the same. Peeps like to raise their nest boxes inside coop, for a couple of reasons.
Easier for person to get the eggs. :yesss:
The space under nest box is additional floor space for chickens to utilize, when locked inside. (like during foul weather,). :frow
Keeping in your run,,, and dealing with possible precipitation is not ideal at all. JMO.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and:welcome
Thanks! They have a nice little hoop house in their run now, so I will also put a nest box there, and I have been giving them access to the other half of the shed that their hen house is in, which they like a lot when it rains.

Back
Top Bottom