Problems introducing new chickens to flock

AStaley4

In the Brooder
Sep 4, 2015
I have a current flock of 2 year old chickens. I purchased 3 new chickens in July. I read up on how to introduce them and have done everything. I quarantined the new chicks. Then had a moving coop in the yard for a month so the chickens could get to know each other without actually being together. When we finally let them meet, it was while everyone was free ranging in the yard. The older chickens pecked at and chased a little but basically left them alone. We had to cut the free day short because of hawks but the next day we had them all free ranging together. they did not mix and the babies slept in their own coop that night. It has been 2 weeks now and I basically have 2 flocks. The older chickens are still mean and the babies do not go into the coop if the older ones are there and if they do go into the coop to finally eat, the older ones follow them and harass them. The babies are skittish and frightened. They will not go into the main coop at night. Every night, I either have to put them in the smaller coop and later at night put them with the other chickens into the main coop or if they are in the main coop they dont go up into the protected part unless I put them up there after dark.

All of the older chickens are mean. There is not one main culprit. My kids think I should separate one of them (the older one we think is the most threatened by the new chicks) for a day or 2.

What can I do to get these 6 chickens to bond?

Last edited:
I only have success on new introduction when adding same size birds together. The larger bids are territorial and feel threatened by invading newbies. Keep them divided by a small mesh fence foe awhile so they get use to each others presence. It takes time.
Good luck and my best regards..

You do not mention how old the younger birds are.

Having multiple feeders (and none of them in the coop) should help with food-based aggression.

Unlike many members, I keep my younger birds in a separate, but connected run / coop to the main flock. I do this for feed convenience, but most importantly - predators. I let them out to range with the flock when they are around 3.5 - 4 months old (the main flock is familiar with the young ones and multiple feed stations eases things). The young ones return to their own coop usually for a month to two months thereafter. Usually, when they begin to lay, they use the nests in the main coop and then they tend to begin to roost in the main coop, one by one. I don't force the issue as there's no need (I have the coop / run space, so its not an issue).

Older and younger birds usually don't comingle until the younger birds are nearing or at the point of laying. Until then they will keep to themselves and the older hens will be a little mean to the younger ones. I let my old and young range together but give them separate coop space. Gradually everyone will come together just takes time.

You do not mention how old the younger birds are.
Was wondering the same.
Also how big is the main coop in feet by feet?
Pics would help.

This might help if you haven't seen it already:
Integration Basics:
It's all about territory and resources(space/food/water).
Existing birds will almost always attack new ones to defend their resources.
Understanding chicken behaviors is essential to integrating new birds into your flock.

Confine new birds within sight but physically segregated from older/existing birds for several weeks, so they can see and get used to each other but not physically interact.

In adjacent runs, spread scratch grains along the dividing mesh, best if mesh is just big enough for birds to stick their head thru, so they get used to eating together.

The more space, the better. Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places for the new birds to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from any bully birds. Roosts, pallets or boards leaned up against walls or up on concrete blocks, old chairs tables, branches, logs, stumps out in the run can really help. Lots of diversion and places to 'hide' instead of bare wide open run.

This used to be a better search, new format has reduced it's efficacy, but still:
Read up on integration..... BYC advanced search>titles only>integration
This is good place to start reading, BUT some info is outdated IMO:
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

I would suggest a one way gate, big enough for the chicks, too small for the old girls, this allows the chicks to determine when they are feeling brave and venture forth, when they have had enough and go back to a safety zone. I put my chicks in with my hens at 3 weeks behind lattice panels. The chicks could go through it like water. First they stayer pretty close to the safe area. With in a week, they were fine.

However, they will not bond and be on flock until they are all laying.

Back
Top Bottom