Processing as a Free Service in WA?

rainplace

Interstellar Duck Academy
10 Years
Jun 23, 2009
Northwestern Washington
I've read here and other places that some people are able to work around the processing permits by selling the live birds to customers and then offering the processing as a free service. I cannot find information related to this for Washington state. Can anyone direct me further reading on this?

I too just read that yesterday in Joel Salatin's book "Pastured Poultry Profits". That's how he does it.

He sells subscription-based (pre-ordered), live birds directly to customers straight off his farm. The birds are sold by the pound... live or "dressed". He processes the birds for customers who desire it for free. That way his operation can not be classified as a meat processing place... and thus he does not require permits or inspections of his facilities. He says his customers are much more thorough inspectors than any government official... since they have a stake in the food he is preparing for them. He does not ship, freeze or cut-up the birds. All his customers come to his farm on designated processing dates during specified time windows (1pm-5pm) to pick up their orders. Customers bring their own coolers and ice for their own birds. Brilliant!

As for legality. I too live in WA. I do not know the specifics regarding processing poultry. I have contacted my county and learned per zoning the number of birds I can have. I guess that's a start.

I like Mr. Salatin's thoughts:
Quote:
If you do find out the details about WA regarding processing chickens... please do share!

Cheers!

More good info found in older threads about this topic.

LEGAL ISSUES FOR SMALL-SCALE POULTRY PROCESSORS - THE FEDERAL POULTRY PRODUCTS INSPECTION ACT
http://www.apppa.org/legalintro.pdf

LEGAL ISSUES FOR SMALL-SCALE POULTRY PROCESSORS - Part 2 Laws by States (dated 2001)
http://www.apppa.org/legalstates.pdf

Sounds like WA is 1000 birds (250 turkeys) per calendar year. Guess that's better than zero.
hu.gif

WA info from link above:
WASHINGTON
The Law. The agency responsible for inspection in Washington is the Department of Agriculture. Washington exempts from inspection the slaughtering of poultry as required by recognized religious dietary laws and when the poultry will be used exclusively for the owner, their household, or nonpaying guests or employees. In addition, inspection is not required for poultry producers with respect to poultry of their own raising on their own farms if they do not slaughter more than 250 turkeys or more than the equivalent number of all species (four birds of other species being equivalent to one turkey) during the calendar year.

However, some city and county agencies in the state have stricter regulations which do not recognize these exemptions. (See the Editor’s Note below.)
Agency Contact. Additional information concerning poultry inspection in the state of Washington can be obtained through:

Washington State Department of Agriculture
P.O. Box 42560
Olympia, WA 98504-2560
360-902-1801
360-902-2092 (fax)

HACCP
Washington St. University
123 Clark Hall
Pullman, WA 99164
509-335-2880
509-335-1082 (fax)

EDITOR’S NOTE: Producers report that the King County (Seattle area) Health Department is especially strict, requiring that all poultry sold in the county be processed and stored in a state-licensed facility. No small-scale processing exemptions are recognized in King County.

Cheers!​

Goog morning. I posted this response to another thread in meat birds that is applicable to your question
I was doing the same research this evening and happen to be from Massachusetts. You can find a listing of regulations by state at apppa.org/legalstates.pdf. You can find the federal regulation referenced at fsis.usda.gov/oppde/rdad/fsisnotices/poultry_slaughter_exemption_0406.pdf. My concern was selling small volume to friends, family, or even at the local farmers market. Both of these sources indicate that I can do that without license or inspection for a thousand birds a year.
Sorry for the partial URLs I guess the forum is being spammed and new eggs are being screened for web addresses

Mrs. Mucket :

Have you read this publication? It doesn't really answer your question about getting around the permits though.

http://agr.wa.gov/Marketing/SmallFarm/DOCS/6-PoultryProcessingAndMarketingRegulations.pdf

Thank you Mrs. Mucket!
This is exactly the info I wanted to know. Not looking to "get around" laws... just want to know what the laws are.

Cheers!

**edited for further thought.

ARRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!! Washington State doesn't want to make it easy or cheap for you to sell your own farm-raised poultry.

WSDA Special Poultry Permit

Farms selling less than 1,000 slaughtered poultry of any species in a calendar year may operate with a WSDA Special Poultry Permit.
This permit allows the farm business to sell processed whole birds within 48 hours of slaughter. Poultry must be sold fresh.
This permit does not allow further processing, parting out, vacuum sealing or freezing.

Whole birds are sold only from the property of the Washington farm where the poultry was raised and processed.
The birds must be sold directly to the end consumer and the customer must pick up the birds at the farm.
This permit does not allow farms to sell processed poultry at farmers markets, direct to restaurants or grocery stores,
or ship processed birds via the mail or other service.

How to Get the WSDA Special Poultry Permit

The first step is to contact Food Safety and discuss your plans with an inspector. Food safety inspectors are a
terrific resource and wealth of knowledge on how to ensure that the processing set up and practices meet state
standards. You will then need to submit an application to the WSDA Food Safety Program. The key is to apply
early to give Food Safety enough time to work with you.

For many, the most challenging aspect of the application is the “Slaughter/Preparation Site Diagram” and
“Detailed Processing Steps or Flow Diagram.” To avoid confusion with your food safety application, be sure to
include as much detail into these diagrams as possible. The major steps involved (e.g. kill, scald, pluck, eviscerate,
rinse, and chill) MUST be included in the flow charts, and any additional layers of detail will help to ensure a
smooth licensing process.

Once the Food Safety Program has received the application, a trained WSDA food safety inspector will come to
the farm to verify that the facility, slaughter and processing is done in compliance with state food safety
requirements. Inspections include an evaluation of personnel, grounds, butcher facility construction and design,
sanitary operations, pest control, sanitary facilities and controls, equipment and utensils, processes and controls,
labeling and licensing. Preventing overhead contamination, having food grade surfaces, and chilling tend to be key
areas of concern.

It is best to schedule your inspection on a day when you can do a dry run. Not having customers on farm the same
day gives you time to address any issues. Your inspector will give you the green or red light. Once approved, your
certificate will be mailed to you.

The permit application asks for your projected slaughter dates. You must provide prior written communication of
slaughter date additions or deletions to the Food Safety Program at least one week before the change.
To avoid a backlog, please apply for and obtain the permit at least 6 weeks before your first slaughter date.
The fee for this permit is $75.00 for one calendar year (January 1 to December 31) or $125.00 for two years.

Next step above this permit is a WSDA Food Processor License for 1001 - 20,000 birds. More requirements (separate processing facility), more fees, more inspections. NICE!

Hmph.... and I live 3 miles from the Idaho border.
roll.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom