bikosblackmeat

In the Brooder
Jan 2, 2023
Philippines
My Coop
My Coop
A lot of people were hating on other breeders that cross their chickens with other breed. Here is my opinion:

As long as you are treating your chickens right (by providing their basic necessities) and breeding to create chickens with distinct characteristics like for more meat, eggs, color, temperment, broodiness, improved immunity or adaptiveness depending on the area then continue on what you are doing (except when their offsprings suffer). I am doing something similar.
After all, all chickens came from selectively breeding jungle fowls and purebreeds like Black Australorp for example were created by using other orpingtongs, langhans, and rhode islands before being acknowledged by American Poultry Association.

1692862670261.png

I don't think I have ever really seen hate for people crossing different breeds of chickens. That is your project your doing? If so, that is really cool. My only concern is the the 25% cemani 75% silkie might be too small for a big rooster like an austrolorp. But yeah, cross whatever breeds of chickens with whatever you like. I have chickens that have genetics of 4-5 different breeds

I do find it odd how aggressive many people are about "preserving" breeds when many of these breeds are merely the product of some guy 100 years ago in his backyard

I don't think I have ever really seen hate for people crossing different breeds of chickens. That is your project your doing? If so, that is really cool. My only concern is the the 25% cemani 75% silkie might be too small for a big rooster like an austrolorp. But yeah, cross whatever breeds of chickens with whatever you like. I have chickens that have genetics of 4-5 different breeds
There are many people that are very passionate about preserving breeds. Some are more passionate about the ones that they do themselves, and some are passionate about all of them

In the facebook group of Backyard Chickens, you'll see a lot of people hating about crossbreeding.

And yes, this is my project. Right now I am figuring out what's the best percentage of ayam and silkie to be crossed with an australorp. I will soon find out once they produce chicks.

Back
Top Bottom