Prognosis and advice for duckling with bill deformity

Sweet little duckling. It may have a palate defect inside the bill as well as the visible deformity. A simple reason for it not growing as fast as the others might be that it is not getting as much food down. Keep an eye on its intake -- water as well as crumbles. But the little one may well grow and live normally with time. I have had two ducks with deformed bills -- both traumatic rather than congenital. They did well as adults feeding from deep pots and "catching' their peas in water in a deep saucer.
That makes sense. It's one of four I have left so it's hard to tell how much it eats. It is growing though; it's just lighter than the others. It definitely seems to be getting along well rather than going downhill. I'm glad to hear yours did well!

Yes you want to compare.
Both bills look the same inside. It actually looks like the duckling's one nare is opening a bit more like Jenbirdee said, so that's good. But now it's walking funny and sometimes stepping on its own feet. I think I'll give it some extra niacin and see if that helps.

Update: the duckling's bill looks almost normal now. Even the other nostril is opening a bit, and there don't seem to be breathing problems anymore. The only real issue now is weak legs, so I'm still giving B complex.
1000001722.jpg

1000001720.jpg

Back
Top Bottom