Pullet has tiny vent cloaca

Liz Birdlover

Crossing the Road
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Jan 6, 2018
Delaware, USA
Well this is a new one for me. My neighbor recently got 4 Pullets, red hens. 1 seemed to have pasty butt, so I was helping her clean it & noticed the vent opening seemed very small. I thought it may be due to being so young & swollen having the pasty butt. She did put Braggs ACV in their water. The condition did not clear up & she asked me to take a look as the hen looked sick. It was brutal hot & the little hen did seem to be under the weather, pale, not eating or drinking. I took her & set her up in the a/c & when I cleaned her butt I got a good look at her cloaca, and yes it was very, very, tiny as compared to the other pullets.

They're all 20 weeks old now. I noticed her vent area had been irritated, so by cleaning it daily & applying Neosporin, the skin has improved, but the opening itself is still very tiny. I can barely get my pinky finger in to clean it out, & poop collects along the inside so I have to clean it out. Her feces is like sandy concrete mortar, weird. I have never encountered this. Her poop smelled horrible, too. I didn't know if she had bacterial infection or fungal or just so full of poop that couldn't get out. I did add Corid & enrofloxacin to her water. I had to hand feed her baby food the 1st 2 days but then she finally started eating & drinking on her own. She is extremely thin.

It has been 7 days as of today. Her poop no longer smells horrid, it is green & less like concrete mortar but still feels sandy, but she still can barely poop & I use Neosporin to lube the opening & gently get my pinky finger to open it, so poop can come out. I looked at the other pullets again today, their vents, and they are normal looking, like huge, compared to this poor hen. This pullet has a very tiny opening, I guess this is a deformity?

My question is, can the opening be made bigger, make very small cuts on either side just a bit, then insert a tube so it heals larger, or would that cause prolapse to happen? I realize there is the muscle, it is like a tight ring. Has anyone encountered this scenario? What can be done to help? Euthanasia can't be the only option.

I will update more photos later too, but this is her progress so far. I also removed a nasty ingrown feather cyst on her back. I guess this sandy stuff is urates in her feces, it does seem to be more diminished, as she is eating more now.
Her initial stool had some blood, either due to her small opening being irritated by the sandy feeling urates or coccidiosis, I was not sure which.
20230727_182154.jpg
20230727_182339.jpg 20230727_201322.jpg 20230727_202353.jpg 20230728_062310.jpg
The ingrown feather clump on her back, it has scabbed up healing right now, will keep an eye for ingrown feathers.
20230728_203338.jpg
20230728_213622.jpg 20230728_213531.jpg

20230728_213733.jpg 20230728_213656.jpg 20230728_214144.jpg 20230729_105612.jpg 20230729_105642.jpg 20230731_182201.jpg 20230803_131631.jpg 20230731_183742.jpg

Last edited:
I have never encountered that problem before. Once she starts laying eggs she may have a bad problem passing those. You might want to continue cleaning the vent inside and out with a rubber glove and perhaps a soapy war soak every day. Try to clean any cement like urates or material from around and inside. Then try to gently stretch the vent opening a little each day. Lubricate it with petroleum jelly or coconut oil inside and out. Maybe with some time it will stretch. Apparently midwives teach this technique to expectant mothers so an episiotomy is not needed at birth to prevent tears. If her droppings are hard, it may be good to offer some chilled coconut oil for her to peck once a day to loosen the droppings. I will tag @azygous, a wise lady who has a lot of tips and experience, in case she has ever had a chicken with a tiny vent opening.

I have never encountered that problem before. Once she starts laying eggs she may have a bad problem passing those. You might want to continue cleaning the vent inside and out with a rubber glove and perhaps a soapy war soak every day. Try to clean any cement like urates or material from around and inside. Then try to gently stretch the vent opening a little each day. Lubricate it with petroleum jelly or coconut oil inside and out. Maybe with some time it will stretch. Apparently midwives teach this technique to expectant mothers so an episiotomy is not needed at birth to prevent tears. If her droppings are hard, it may be good to offer some chilled coconut oil for her to peck once a day to loosen the droppings. I will tag @azygous, a wise lady who has a lot of tips and experience, in case she has ever had a chicken with a tiny vent opening.
I added coconut oil & olive oil to her baby food when I hand fed her. Freezing some coconut oil for her to peck at is a great idea, thank you. She is eating fresh clover, Hentastic which is a soft pellet made with mealworms & oregano and her chick starter crumbles. Live mealworms, too.

I will definitely try the gentle daily stretching too.

Well this is a new one for me. My neighbor recently got 4 Pullets, red hens. 1 seemed to have pasty butt, so I was helping her clean it & noticed the vent opening seemed very small. I thought it may be due to being so young & swollen having the pasty butt. She did put Braggs ACV in their water. The condition did not clear up & she asked me to take a look as the hen looked sick. It was brutal hot & the little hen did seem to be under the weather, pale, not eating or drinking. I took her & set her up in the a/c & when I cleaned her butt I got a good look at her cloaca, and yes it was very, very, tiny as compared to the other pullets.

They're all 20 weeks old now. I noticed her vent area had been irritated, so by cleaning it daily & applying Neosporin, the skin has improved, but the opening itself is still very tiny. I can barely get my pinky finger in to clean it out, & poop collects along the inside so I have to clean it out. Her feces is like sandy concrete mortar, weird. I have never encountered this. Her poop smelled horrible, too. I didn't know if she had bacterial infection or fungal or just so full of poop that couldn't get out. I did add Corid & enrofloxacin to her water. I had to hand feed her baby food the 1st 2 days but then she finally started eating & drinking on her own. She is extremely thin.

It has been 7 days as of today. Her poop no longer smells horrid, it is green & less like concrete mortar but still feels sandy, but she still can barely poop & I use Neosporin to lube the opening & gently get my pinky finger to open it, so poop can come out. I looked at the other pullets again today, their vents, and they are normal looking, like huge, compared to this poor hen. This pullet has a very tiny opening, I guess this is a deformity?

My question is, can the opening be made bigger, make very small cuts on either side just a bit, then insert a tube so it heals larger, or would that cause prolapse to happen? I realize there is the muscle, it is like a tight ring. Has anyone encountered this scenario? What can be done to help? Euthanasia can't be the only option.

I will update more photos later too, but this is her progress so far. I also removed a nasty ingrown feather cyst on her back. I guess this sandy stuff is urates in her feces, it does seem to be more dismissed as she is eating now.
Her initial stool had some blood, either due to her small opening being irritated by the sandy feeling urates or coccidiosis, I was not sure which.
View attachment 3598247
View attachment 3598248View attachment 3598249View attachment 3598250View attachment 3598252
The ingrown feather clump on her back, it has scabbed up healing right now, will keep an eye for ingrown feathers.
View attachment 3598253
View attachment 3598255View attachment 3598254

View attachment 3598256View attachment 3598257View attachment 3598259View attachment 3598260View attachment 3598261View attachment 3598262View attachment 3598264View attachment 3598263
I hope you are able to help her. Poor thing! Please keep us updated on her progress.

I've never encountered this issue, either. But @Eggcessive has give you good advice I can't top.

My thoughts also touch on concern about point of lay. It may be her waterloo or she gets saved by the pelvic knobs migrating outward, creating a larger passage to accommodate eggs and poop. Or not. It won't be long and we'll find out.

Meanwhile, feeding her a couple of teaspoons of coconut oil each day should help her poop. I have had hens with the sort of "concrete" poop you describe and have never figured out why it's that way. It even defies soaking and cleaning it.

Back
Top Bottom