Pullet or cockerel?

Shady77

In the Brooder
Feb 5, 2024
Sorry for the quality, this is my 3 months old chicken. This one grew very late and got a growth spurt after 2 months. I am confused whether it's a pullet or a cockerel.
Screenshot_2024-02-08-17-15-35-94_be80aec1db9a2b53c9d399db0c602181.jpg
Screenshot_2024-02-08-17-17-24-32_be80aec1db9a2b53c9d399db0c602181.jpg

Looks like a cockerel to me
It developed its comb and wattles after 2 months. And it didn't have a tail until it got 2 months old. Its tail looks different than others and it had a voice change prior to other chickens. Does it signify that it's a cockerel? Is it a late bloomer?

It developed its comb and wattles after 2 months. And it didn't have a tail until it got 2 months old. Its tail looks different than others and it had a voice change prior to other chickens. Does it signify that it's a cockerel? Is it a late bloomer?
Let’s see what others think too but it does look male

Two months isn't late. Every male will grow at a different rate, and with a normal-feathering breed you can sex them at six weeks old. Developing sickle feathers-which are the downward-hanging tail feathers that are male-specific-often takes longer than other feathers, and the voice change means nothing. Chickens cannot be sexed by how their voice sounds.

Two months isn't late. Every male will grow at a different rate, and with a normal-feathering breed you can sex them at six weeks old. Developing sickle feathers-which are the downward-hanging tail feathers that are male-specific-often takes longer than other feathers, and the voice change means nothing. Chickens cannot be sexed by how their voice sounds.
So late development of feathers and combs signify any defects or is it breed specific? if you have encountered any similar case like mine, after how long do these types of late-developing cockerels start mating with hens and start crowing?

So late development of feathers and combs signify any defects or is it breed specific? if you have encountered any similar case like mine, after how long do these types of late-developing cockerels start mating with hens and start crowing?
This little guy is a cockerel. Development rate can be somewhat breed specific, but generally it is each individual bird. I had 2 cocks same hatch of the same breed, and one developed much faster than the other. I noticed that after I culled the faster developing cockerel, the other seemed to develop much faster, perhaps a coincidence, perhaps not. Sometimes other factors can play a role, but they are all individuals, and like humans each will develop at their own pace.

This little guy is a cockerel. Development rate can be somewhat breed specific, but generally it is each individual bird. I had 2 cocks same hatch of the same breed, and one developed much faster than the other. I noticed that after I culled the faster developing cockerel, the other seemed to develop much faster, perhaps a coincidence, perhaps not. Sometimes other factors can play a role, but they are all individuals, and like humans each will develop at their own pace.
How long does it take for this specific breed of cockerels to mature and involve in fertilization?

Back
Top Bottom