Pyrantel Pamoate: Paste, Nemex-2, or neither?

khind

Crowing
9 Years
Jul 16, 2014
Norman, OK, USA
My Valbazen is at least 1.5 years old, and I found a (regular-sized) roundworm in a dropping. Some of my birds are molting.

With a small flock of 6 birds, I'm considering using Nemex-2. Then go back to Valbazen sold in the huge (wasteful for me) bottle, or Safeguard (still expires before being used up, but not as much is wasted) so I can rotate dewormers, next time I might need it. Nemex-2 is available locally and in a small bottle while the only other pyrantel pamoate available is in a paste for horses (also at a nice price, if I can actually use it). Alternatively, I could order a pp suspension (Columbia Laboratories), but I'd have to wait days for it to arrive.

However, I just checked the concentrations of these pp products and all 3 are vastly different (makes sense, given their intended species):
Nemex-2 contains 4.54 mg/ml of pp, the horse paste 171 mg/ml, and the suspension 50 mg/ml. I've only found dosing info for chickens for the suspension.

Does anyone know how to dose with Nemex-2? and whether the horse paste would be workable, and if so, how to dose a chicken?
Lastly, even though the Nemex-2 bottle states that it only needs one application (for canines, the intended species), should it be repeated in 10 days for chickens?

Thank you so much!

Last edited:
The repeating in 10 or 14 days is because the first dosage of whichever wormer it is kills the live worms but not the eggs.

Here is one thread on the Nemex-2: See what @casportpony posted. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/nemex-2-pyrantel-pamoate-for-wormer.983919/

Here is a link that gives dosage too: https://poultrydvm.com/drugs/pyrantel
Thank you so much for your reply!
I do know why a dose has to be repeated, which is why I was confused when the online instructions for Nemex-2 only stated one dose.
However, while we're on the subject, I've read "10-14 days" for a couple different wormers. It's funny, in a way, because I would love a neat/unambiguous directive on which day to repeat the dosage. I would think it has to do with the life cycle of the type of worm in question, but I've actually read it's related to how the specific product works. Anywho... I might go ahead and repeat the dose at the 12th day, as a compromise. Lol.
Thanks again. :)

Thank you so much for your reply!
I do know why a dose has to be repeated, which is why I was confused when the online instructions for Nemex-2 only stated one dose.
However, while we're on the subject, I've read "10-14 days" for a couple different wormers. It's funny, in a way, because I would love a neat/unambiguous directive on which day to repeat the dosage. I would think it has to do with the life cycle of the type of worm in question, but I've actually read it's related to how the specific product works. Anywho... I might go ahead and repeat the dose at the 12th day, as a compromise. Lol.
Thanks again. :)
Much of the problem is that there is very little in the way of treatments for various ailments for our chickens that are actually made for chickens. Most of the stuff is for 4-legged animals and we're having to use calculators to break it down. Ivermectin is a good example. I recently have been using that for scaly leg mites (silkies) and found various calculations of their various products and finally went with 1 drop per small bird, repeat in 12 days because some said 10 days and some said two weeks. ☺️

Good luck with yours!

The reason wormers are repeated in 10 to 14 days is to kill the newly hatched worms, since most wormers do not kill worm larvae. Repeating in 10 days is the minimum so you don’t have a long egg withdrawal. But you could even wait until 21 days, except you would be tossing eggs for a long time.

Personally I would shake up the old bottle of Valbazen well, and use that. It really settles out. It kills most worms except for tapeworms. Nemex 2 is not going to do that, just treat roundworms and hookworms in puppies.

The reason wormers are repeated in 10 to 14 days is to kill the newly hatched worms, since most wormers do not kill worm larvae. Repeating in 10 days is the minimum so you don’t have a long egg withdrawal. But you could even wait until 21 days, except you would be tossing eggs for a long time.

Personally I would shake up the old bottle of Valbazen well, and use that. It really settles out. It kills most worms except for tapeworms. Nemex 2 is not going to do that, just treat roundworms and hookworms in puppies.
I've already given the Nemex 2 dose, but I can try the Valbazen for the 2nd dosing. However, with those birds still molting, I was glad to find something that was not a benzimidazole this go round...

Back
Top Bottom