question about feeding trimmings

urbanhomesteader

Songster
14 Years
Feb 26, 2007
Yorba Linda, CA
Should I shred the things I feed my chickens to make it easier for them to eat? My three, 8 week old pullets, who are now old enough to eat "big girl" food are being introduced to new food. They seem to have a hard time eating the food unless I hold it quite firmly for them or cut off little bitty pieces.
hmm.png
I don't really want to toss food all over the yard ( I want to keep the vermin away). I tried putting the treats in a tupperwear container but they ignored it. Will I have to cut and shred every piece of fruit and veggies for them?
roll.png
Also do you all just throw it on the ground or do you use a feeder for this kind of thing?
hu.gif

I work at a grocery store and I have (free) access to as much trimmings as I want to cart away. I have only brought a little at a time as I don't want the trimmings to get old or moldy/mildew. I am always amazed by how much perfectly good produce is tossed out every day. (Technicley, it is sent to be composted so its not totally wasted) I always wash and check for spoilage but mostly its just bruised or slightly over ripe fruits and veggies,the trimmings from greens and any wilted greens, of course.. A lot of our iguana/rabbit/turtle/chicken owning customers come in on a weekly basis and take a box or two and we still have a pallet full of the stuff to get rid of every day.

So far they have had an apple yesterday (loved it), a tomato today(loved it as long as I held it firmly for them), and some loose leaf lettuce and cabbage (totally ignored)

I find that my chickens can't really get a good bite on greens if they're loose. Those I hold for 'em. Big veggies they seem to like best if I just cut them in half and let them peck pieces out of them. I usually put their snacks in 'the purple dish', and they come running any time they see me coming with it.
big_smile.png

Thanks cookinmom,
I guess I will find a nice container and use it every time. I don't mind hand feeding them for a while but after about half way through the tomato my arm got pretty tired.
wink.png
Maybe I will look around for some kind of snack holding rack. Maybe something like the fish holder thingy for the bbq. We never use that.

If you didn't mind buying something, you could buy a hanging food skewer in the parrot department of a pet store. They are metal rods used to impale fruits and vegetables for parrots to eat, so they can spend time working away on something, instead of quickly scarfing down a bowl of chopped food. I have several different brands, as I also have a parrot. You could also just try making a hole through the food and stringing it on a rope.

They also sell little hanging cages, that you can load with food and the bird pecks at the food through the bars. I have a couple of versions of those, too. The fish holder for the BBQ sounds like a great idea and very similar to the food cages. I bet that would work great, especially for leafy greens.

I do think the chickens improve their eating skills as they get older, too.

Back
Top Bottom