Questions concerning concrete slab for coop and waterproofing

LeeBird

Hatching
May 3, 2018
Hello everyone!!! First time chicken owner here in the process of building a new chicken coop on a concrete slab previously used for an old worn out coop. I have a few questions as I'm trying to improve on the design my grandfather had gone with in the never ending fight of erosion and water control. I'm building my coop on a 11'5" X 7' 4.5" concrete slab with cinder block "walls" that go around the perimeter of the slab underground. The slab is on the bottom end of a semi-steep hill. Two sides of the cinder block "walls" have started to push away from the slab and allow the soil from underneath to start to erode and leave hollow spots. What I've done is dig a 2' ditch around the cinder block walls and I plan to line the outside of the blocks with pond liner in an attempt to keep water out. I'll then backfill to about 1' and fill it in with gravel to create a drainage ditch for water. I'll also be putting pvc pipe on one side underground at the 1' mark to drain the water on that side that has seeped through the gravel. Is this a good idea? Can pond liner be used this way and if not, is there something that can? Also, what would be the best way to attach the liner to the cinder blocks to make it as water proof as possible?
There are also cinder blocks on the inside of the "wall" as well and I have questions regarding this too once this gets answered. Thank-you in advance. :)

PS. I have never done carpentry nor landscaping of this type. I'm simply using the little common sense I have to try and navigate problems I can foresee. XD

Attachments

• received_589907341366649.jpeg
    received_589907341366649.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 16
You would somehow have to bond the pond liner to the walls before it would keep water out.

Usually concrete guys paint a thick black coating of water proofing ( I forgot the name of it ) below the dirt line and put a perforated drain pipe around the walls down low and back fill with coarse clean gravel. This way any seepage has an easy path to follow around the building and out the low side.

JT

Back
Top Bottom