Quitters?

MonsteraRancher

In the Brooder
Apr 14, 2023
Hello,
I am new to incubating eggs. Three of my duck eggs started off strong and now I think two of them are quitters. One egg seems to be developing and moving while the others stay the same. I wanted to see if anyone has advice. Should I remove the eggs or wait a bit longer? They have been incubating approximately 15 days.

I’m worried about him or her brooding alone. I have multiple ducks on the property. I can transition him or her into my flock when the duck is old enough. I have always brooded in pairs or more.

I have chicks due three days later. I am under the impression brooding them separately is the best option. Maybe I should pick up another duckling?

Thank you!

Egg 1:
FD32F1CD-0190-4FCE-B566-F751AE8B9F67.jpeg

Egg 2: the one I am positive is developing
CA00CDFA-1310-4C1F-9E7E-1272DBB7B3F6.jpeg
Egg 4: it had movement but stopped recently

7AD8DD85-9C23-4D6F-926C-42D5FE6207B7.jpeg

I do chickens, not ducks, but I don't remove any eggs until lockdown. I remove obvious quitters then to make it easier to track the remaining eggs from pip to zip. Especially with you being inexperienced I'd err on the side of caution and give them a chance.

Some people worry that a quitter is more likely to go rotten. I'm not. If bacteria gets inside the egg will turn rotten whether there is a live chick in it or not.

I agree, #2 looks like the only one still alive. But I still suggest patience. I've been wrong before.

I do chickens, not ducks, but I don't remove any eggs until lockdown. I remove obvious quitters then to make it easier to track the remaining eggs from pip to zip. Especially with you being inexperienced I'd err on the side of caution and give them a chance.

Some people worry that a quitter is more likely to go rotten. I'm not. If bacteria gets inside the egg will turn rotten whether there is a live chick in it or not.

I agree, #2 looks like the only one still alive. But I still suggest patience. I've been wrong before.
I was finding it impossible to give up on them. I will wait until lockdown and reevaluate then. You have given me a confidence boost. Thank you so much!

Back
Top Bottom