Rabbits and kits…

Mk.mom.13

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 7, 2018
So I’ve had some problems… I have one rabbit who eats her babies she’s had two litters with me and each time she’s eaten all of her babies. I’m going to attempt to bottle feed them and high hopes that maybe that will encourage her to nurse them otherwise maybe I will just bottlefeed them for the duration that they nursed. And I’ve had other does that just don’t make a nest they just drop the babies wherever they land and that’s pretty much it. Any suggestions?Also, has anybody had any luck with colony rabbits and breathing? Like as in all of the does in one colony and being able to nest and what not… One of my girls that didn’t make a nest I didn’t know she was pregnant and she was in the colony with the rest of them she had not been separated yet. I was wondering if maybe she didn’t make a nest because of the other rabbits being around her and maybe just because she wasn’t by herself?

So I’ve had some problems… I have one rabbit who eats her babies she’s had two litters with me and each time she’s eaten all of her babies. I’m going to attempt to bottle feed them and high hopes that maybe that will encourage her to nurse them otherwise maybe I will just bottlefeed them for the duration that they nursed. And I’ve had other does that just don’t make a nest they just drop the babies wherever they land and that’s pretty much it. Any suggestions?Also, has anybody had any luck with colony rabbits and breathing? Like as in all of the does in one colony and being able to nest and what not… One of my girls that didn’t make a nest I didn’t know she was pregnant and she was in the colony with the rest of them she had not been separated yet. I was wondering if maybe she didn’t make a nest because of the other rabbits being around her and maybe just because she wasn’t by herself?
If one is eating her babies, it's probably because of stress. What type of enclosure do you have?
Have you had success raising any baby kits?

I'm a bit late finding this thread, but I wonder if the does have enough private space to have their kits?

I used to have rabbits in cages: one doe per cage, add a nestbox full of hay or straw a few days before the bunnies are due. It usually worked well. So I'm thinking about what may be different in your colony.

I don't know quite what setup you have for them, but maybe you could try putting in many boxes full of hay-- that might provide better places for does to give birth. Of course it might not help (the rabbits might just spread the hay around and eat it, and sit in the boxes to poop.) Even cardboard boxes might be enough to test the idea, although other materials would probably be better for long term use.

I have a doe that has had her first two litters unsuccessfully. I am doing similar to above. Moved her cage to the back corner of the barn so she’s not as stressed and has some more privacy.

She is bred as of last Friday. We will know in 4 weeks if she’s capable of being a mother. If not, I’ll replace her and try again.

Back
Top Bottom