Rats attacking chickens

Savdye

Chirping
Jul 22, 2023
I have 7 chickens who had survived a cat attack. Everything was going great but the other night my husband noticed our coop had 7-10 mice and rats in it. The next morning I came out and a small mouse sized bite was taken out of my Alfa chickens comb I asked my husband to set traps and he said our chickens would be fine this morning I came out and another chicken had a bite taken out of her comb almost like the rats are falling onto the chickens at night, can I put rat poison out? If the chickens eat the dead rats will it kill them ? Any advice?

Get traps, bait with peanut butter mixed with bread to make a dough.
If you're seeing them, you have a bad problem. You can also use rat x,it is only deadly to rodents, no secondary poisoning m

Get traps, bait with peanut butter mixed with bread to make a dough.
If you're seeing them, you have a bad problem. You can also use rat x,it is only deadly to rodents, no secondary poisoning m
Thank you so much! We were using humane traps and letting them lose miles away from the house, that ended after a rat hopped into my car and never left

Rats and mice will either come back if you don’t drop them far enough or they will likely die in a new environment so it’s not actually the humane option we hope it to be…

I eliminated my rat problem using a metal cage trap and then drowning them. Not my preferred way to kill them but the most viable considering they are excellent escape artists. We have a little rat graveyard in the front yard.

We also built one of these:

Which we implemented towards the end of the infestation and only caught one but it was a big rat and it killed it instantly.

I scatter chick crumble and sunflower seeds for bait. And I don’t just put it on the trigger for the traps but I scatter it all around.

I also caught two baby rats in a bucket trap. That was hard because I had to get them out of the bucket and they were so endearing with their big paws, like puppies.

Rats and mice will either come back if you don’t drop them far enough or they will likely die in a new environment so it’s not actually the humane option we hope it to be…

I eliminated my rat problem using a metal cage trap and then drowning them. Not my preferred way to kill them but the most viable considering they are excellent escape artists. We have a little rat graveyard in the front yard.

We also built one of these:

Which we implemented towards the end of the infestation and only caught one but it was a big rat and it killed it instantly.

I scatter chick crumble and sunflower seeds for bait. And I don’t just put it on the trigger for the traps but I scatter it all around.

I also caught two baby rats in a bucket trap. That was hard because I had to get them out of the bucket and they were so endearing with their big paws, like puppies.
Oh man I didn’t know that I can’t stand to kill things but I will let my husband know about all that

Back
Top Bottom