Red Eastern Cedar Berries

Kristen4

In the Brooder
Feb 22, 2024
Hi Everyone-

I have a chocolate Orpington that I just who is super sick- dying. I can't figure out what happened. We do have Red Eastern Cedar berries that she may have eaten. Does anyone know if these are toxic?

What about Rye seed?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-22 at 1.33.54 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-22 at 1.33.54 PM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 24
As far as I know from talking to other chicken owners they are not toxic in small quantities, but can be toxic if ingested in large ones. That goes for all Cedar berries. This is second hand knowledge though, I don't have them near me.

Can you describe how the hen looked? Any symptoms?

Welcome to BYC. Can you do a complete exam on her? Feel of her weight, look for a more bony keel or breast bone. Is her crop empty and flat, partially full, firm, soft and puffy, or doughy? What do her poops look like, including pictures. A picture of her as well. Can she stand or walk? Are her wings hanging, tail up or down? Has she laid eggs recently? Is she currently molting? Most chickens seem to avoid poisonous plants, but some can be toxic in large amounts. I really hope that you can save her. Many pharmacies sell activated charcoal, and there are flushes using Epsom salts or molasses.

Welcome to BYC. Can you do a complete exam on her? Feel of her weight, look for a more bony keel or breast bone. Is her crop empty and flat, partially full, firm, soft and puffy, or doughy? What do her poops look like, including pictures. A picture of her as well. Can she stand or walk? Are her wings hanging, tail up or down? Has she laid eggs recently? Is she currently molting? Most chickens seem to avoid poisonous plants, but some can be toxic in large amounts. I really hope that you can save her. Many pharmacies sell activated charcoal, and there are flushes using Epsom salts or molasses.
Thank you and thank you for your response. 5 minutes after posting, she passed away. I did not see any signs of what caused it. I'm curious about the activated charcoal. I use that for myself when my stomach is off. How do you give it to a chicken?

Give charcoal capsules as you would a human, directly into the beak. The rule of thumb for how much to give is it should be equal to the amount of toxic substance consumed. If you don't know, then give two capsules immediately and two more in a few hours, and two more in the evening.

Back
Top Bottom