Relocating Chicks from House to Colder Barn. Bad Idea?

Kylo_Hen

Chirping
Apr 2, 2018
New England
Originally, I had my brooder set up in my barn. When I received my chicks, it was about 20 degrees in the morning. I had a couple that were dead on arrival, which was expected, but being a first time chick owner, I felt sooo bad and wanted to mitigate any other risks, so I relocated the chicks from the barn to my guest bathroom shower, where they’ve been living since. The ambient temp inside the bath is around low 50 degrees F.

I use a large warming plate, and have gradually been reducing the temperature and raising it up according to their growth and comfort level.

As of last night, the 10 chicks are starting to “fight.” They charge after each other and flap their wings. I’m not experiencing so much pecking brutality, but I don’t doubt that’s also going on, since they are probably establishing the pecking order. I don’t think it’s that the plate being too warm that’s causing the aggression, since I’ve already reduced it a few times, and they seem to love perching on top of the warming plate (which gives no heat from the top), I think it may be the size of the shower area. Maybe they’re outgrowing it. Keep in mind, that specific bathroom they’re in stays pretty cold compared to the rest of the house (around low 50s).

My question to you guys, do you think it’s okay to move them to the barn? ambient temperature in the barn is around low 30 degrees F. in the morning and hangs around 40s-50s during the day. There are no drafts, and some sunlight during the day. I would of course still give them their warming plate. Chicks are starting to get their feathers.

Summary (Too Long; Didn’t Read version):

Chicks are starting to fight and may need to relocate to a bigger space. I may have messed up by bringing my 10 baby chicks inside the house and not letting them acclimate to the colder barn temperature where they are supposed to be. They use a warming plate in their brooder. Wondering if it’s okay to bring them back to the barn where it’s much colder, but they would have a larger space in their brooder and still have their warming plate versus the shower they are living in right now. What would you do?

:yesss:Thanks! I was hoping that would be the answer.

I went ahead and just did it. They seem happy.

E321F05A-9833-4E89-90CA-BA21F2C72C7A.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom