Rescued! I recently rescued a Rhode Island Red…

LadyLavender

In the Brooder
Sep 5, 2023
I recently rescued a Rhode Island Red. A neighbor saw a chicken under some brush in the neighborhood two days in row and asked if it was ours. We have 4 chickens. My oldest is a 4 year old Orpington ( Georgia ) and 3 - 6 month old Easter Eggers… with that being said, I am hoping to include this rescue chicken in my flock. She has been quarantined for two weeks and seems to be relatively healthy. She has even layed two eggs this week. I am keeping her in an old dog crate, but have been putting her in my garden in the late afternoon when I come home and let the other girls out to forage in the back yard. Today ( 2 weeks and 1 day ) I have them all out and so far so good. My question is when should I put her the the coop with the other girls? Too soon? She does smell different too… more “gamey”? Would love feed back!!!

1 month complete quarantine is recommended since many issues don't appear until 2-3 weeks of a stress incident, it also gives time to worm and delouse. But since they've already been mixing for awhile, hope for the best and let let her out for them to sort it out.

What ever your flock has this new bird has already been exposed to...vice versa. There is no point in caging her separately now when it comes to spreading disease.
If your coop big enough to add a new bird?

I believe in letting them work it out. I would let your original birds out into the yard, and lock the new girl into the coop and run late after noon. Let her explore the new area, eat in the new area and get some territorial rights, without being chased or harassed.

Then as late in the day as possible, let the old girls back in the run. There is a strong chance that they will all go to roost. If so, you are golden.

If one of the original birds does not want her in the coop - put HER in the dog crate. Maybe even two of the original birds into the dog crate. Letting the new bird roost in the coop with the others.

Do this for a couple of days, and they should be golden.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom