Rhea owner! Can I keep it outside overnight?

mark19851234

In the Brooder
Feb 24, 2021
Hi

I have a 9 month old white male Rhea. Had 2 originally but 1 died about 3 months ago. We still arnt sure what happened to the female. Seemed fine a few hours before went out to lock them up and it was sitting down dead with the male next to it. No sign of a fox. Only thing we can think of is it got scared and ran into the fence.

I was wondering if it would be okay to leave him out overnight in our paddock or do you think even at his current size he would be at risk from foxes? He did live with our 20 chickens (before the flu lockdown). Currently he lives in a stable but after the flu lockdown I was going to let him sleep outside as he seems to prefer to settle down on the ground.

He seems very flighty and wondered if this is normal for rheas? We just want him to be happy like all our other animals are.

We have 2 acres of land.

Best Regards
Mark

Attachments

• image0 (2).jpeg
    image0 (2).jpeg
    844.5 KB · Views: 82
did the deceased one have any obvious injuries? More info is needed .
If not...
Check your pen for wire, screws, etc. that it can ingest.
A fox should not be an issue at this age.

did the deceased one have any obvious injuries? More info is needed .
If not...
Check your pen for wire, screws, etc. that it can ingest.
A fox should not be an issue at this age.
Thanks for the reply. No nothing. It seemed totally fine a few hours before. Good to know the fox shouldn't be an issue. I am thinking of getting a female as the chickens may not be enough company for him.

When we had rheas we would leave their stall open all night with no issues. I bet he’d be fine! The gentleman we purchased them from just had a truck topper in the pen and they would sleep under that. Kind of redneck, but does show how hearty the birds are. They can take some cold.

Back
Top Bottom