Rice Hulls for Mealworms?

rwmcdaniel

In the Brooder
May 24, 2022
I have a cheap and good supply of rice hulls. I am wondering if I can use rice hulls to raise mealworms in instead of wheat bran. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

I have a cheap and good supply of rice hulls. I am wondering if I can use rice hulls to raise mealworms in instead of wheat bran. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!
I've used them for chicken bedding in my coops and on my droppings boards under roosts. They work especially well in those tiny prefab jobs (tiny poop trays clog easily with shavings or hay and won't come out of the slot). They also work well in brooders, though growth performance was *slightly* impacted (according to studies) so maybe not suggested if raising "meaties". One of my local feed stores uses hulls in their chick/duckling brooders as bedding, where I got the original idea.

They're not sufficient for meal worms (or anything else) IMO.. due to reasons stated by the first poster.

You don't have to use wheat bran.. I've used corn meal, chicken feed, oats, and other "meal" things without issue..

Best wishes! :)

I don't think there's much to the hulls, aren't they just the rice casings?
Yes, I believe so. I think that wheat bran is pretty much the same thing - the outer hull of the kernel. I figured the rice hulls might work as well. I may just start some on the wheat bran and try a few on the rice hulls to see how they do. The rice hulls are about $5 for a 50lb bag. Just trying to save where I can if it makes sense to...

I get free rice hulls being here in Japan. I live in an agricultural area where many people grow their own rice (me included). You can just pull the truck up outside the back and pull the lever.

I raise mealworms too. I think rice hulls would work. Would just need to spin them up in a food processor. I'm going to try this.

Hardly any nutrition in rice hulls and a load of silica. If the idea is to raise mealworms then you will need to feed them a proper diet. They will eat anything, including styrofoam, but that doesn't mean they will thrive and reproduce.

Back
Top Bottom