Rigor Mortis and Canning

canningroos

In the Brooder
Aug 26, 2023
I just learned about the rigor mortis issue the other day while researching culling procedures, methods and advice.

Has anyone pressure canned chicken while it was still in rigor mortis? And, did it make any difference?

I did notice some people who had frozen their chicken while in rigor mortis were advised to use a lower/slower cooking method to try to alleviate some of the toughness of the bird, but wouldn't pressure canning do the same thing?

Any advice on this would be appreciated. Thank you.

I just learned about the rigor mortis issue the other day while researching culling procedures, methods and advice.

Has anyone pressure canned chicken while it was still in rigor mortis? And, did it make any difference?

I did notice some people who had frozen their chicken while in rigor mortis were advised to use a lower/slower cooking method to try to alleviate some of the toughness of the bird, but wouldn't pressure canning do the same thing?

Any advice on this would be appreciated. Thank you.
Not sure but I searched and found this thread here. It's old, so I didn't want to tag the person, but if you scroll down, LindaB220 has a couple of ideas, like soaking in buttermilk. Good luck! https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...and-rigor-mortis-need-help-asap.642598/page-3

I have no personal experience, but I found an older thread that addresses the matter. Here is a link to the thread, and quotes from two specific posts:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/how-long-to-let-meat-rest-and-canning-s.1193739/

I raw pack pressure can most of my chicken instead of freezing. One of the best parts about pressure canning chicken is that you do not have to rest the chicken before processing.
I simply butcher my chickens, bring them inside, and start cutting meat off the bone immediately....As I cut the meat off the bones I place it directly into pint jars for canning.
I do not rest my birds because I don't have the refrigerator space and the meat is very tender after canning. Be aware, though, it separates in strings just as the muscle grows so it looks stringy but it is not tough stringy. (Hope that makes sense).

Back
Top Bottom