I am training my girls to use The Ratproof Feeder today. We had a horrible mouse issue last winter and I thought the feeders I bought from Revolutionary Chicken had fixed the problem. However, I've just noticed, within the last week, the mice have returned. So, I ordered The Ratproof Chicken Feeder (the person who makes them is a member here and has been making/improving the product for 10+ years), and I put them in my run last night.

The feeders aren't the prettiest and they take some skills to put together and adjust correctly (in addition to training the chickens), but from everything I've read/watched (there are several YouTube videos customers have sent in), these feeders totally eliminate rate/mice/squirrel/wild bird problems. There are very specific instructions that need to be followed for success, but I'm hopeful that I've done everything right, and I'm not going to have a rodent issue anymore! (It'll be worth the little bit of tinkering and training if the mice are gone!)
Sorry for the very late reply. I had gone over seas the day before you posted and once back I was slammed with work, just now checking in to BYC.

Did you get your birds trained? If not please send pictures of how you have the feeder installed. Like you said there are some pretty specific instructions but one thing I learned years ago is how hard it is to explain how to do something. So easy to miss-interpret instructions.

The basics are securing the feeder to a wall or post or a big chunk of plywood staked to the ground so the feeder is rock solid, not a wiggle when a heavy hen jumps on the treadle. They have to feel safe using the feeder.

Second, make sure the treadle bottoms out so the hen can stand on one leg while pinning down the treadle with the other leg. If the treadle doesn't bottom out it will be too wobbly and the hens will refuse to use the feeder and it will be unsafe.

Third, if the hens try to come in from the side, use gallon milk jugs of water to block off the side of the feeder to force them to come in straight from the front.

Fourth, adjust the spring tighter if the door doesn't close all the way or drop the spring to a lower hole if the birds are too light to use the treadle. You MUST have mostly full size hens, a few silkies or banties in the flock is fine, they will learn to eat when a big bird is eating.

Fifth, during training, do NOT block the feeder open.

Sixth, no other feed during training. No free range, no treats unless you toss them in the feeder to entice the hens, make sure there isn't a bunch of old feed in the deep litter.

Email me if you have any problems. At times I get too busy to check messages here. Or use the CRM messaging on the shopping cart.

Back
Top Bottom