Roo attacked by fox

DoraBud1

Chirping
9 Years
Dec 6, 2012
Elbert, Colorado
Hi Everyone - I have a roo that was attacked by a fox 9 days ago. He had a couple bite wounds on his neck and would not raise his head up from the ground. Could walk and flap wings. I cleaned the wound and gave him 5 days of .2cc Baytril at advice of vet (no vet around here treat poultry per se .... but this vet knows me because of my rescue work and gave me the recommendation). Wounds look good but roo still stands with head on the ground. I know that he can raise his head because I've seen him do it - he just won't hold it up. Some days he eats chicken mash out of a cup that that I hold for him. Other days he has little interest in eating. Drinks from a hand held cup well. He does not eat enough food so I supplement his food with syringed sweet potato, basted egg and/or food balls I've prepared (I hold his mouth open and place in beak and he eats it down). After I feed him I rub his neck and pinch his pin feathers. Poop is pretty normal looking. But, still won't hold his head up on his own. I've read here that others have had chickens that did this as well and then gradually started to raise their head. Just not sure how long to give him. I've said I won't give up until he does - but I don't want to put off the inevitable either. Thought about trying some physical therapy but not sure if that would help him (I'm in physical therapy for an arm I hurt and couldn't raise - it is helping me :)). Also don't know what exercises would benefit him. Any advice on how long to give him and other steps to take?

Attachments

• Domino.jpg
    Domino.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 19
Poor Guy!
I would give him vitamin therapy to see if that helps - 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily. Hopefully these will help repair the nerve damage.
Sometimes damage is too great and a bird just can't recover.

Consider tube/crop feeding him as well, this will help get the nutrition into him that he needs.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/crop-feeding.75454/

Back
Top Bottom