Roos or Pullet?

GM916

In the Brooder
Apr 11, 2023
Hello!
Bought these “midnight majesty Marans as pullets” from Hoovers Hatchery and I’m feeling like I have Roos instead. They are 8 weeks old and I’m leaning towards male because the Barred Pattern. Also not familiar with the breed. Please help.

Attachments

• IMG_2594.jpeg
    IMG_2594.jpeg
    870.7 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_2589.jpeg
    IMG_2589.jpeg
    1,013.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2588.jpeg
    IMG_2588.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2591.jpeg
    IMG_2591.jpeg
    960.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2587.jpeg
    IMG_2587.jpeg
    875.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2592.jpeg
    IMG_2592.jpeg
    998.9 KB · Views: 10
You are correct. Males of this breed/hybrid should be barred while females are not. They are also sometimes known as Mystic Marans, Noir Marans, Rustic Rambler, Dominant Copper, or more commonly, black sex-link. Likely a cross of a Black Copper Marans rooster with a Barred Rock hen.

Does Hoovers do substitutes?

At 8 weeks I would expect bigger combs if male.

This has me wondering if you got Cuckoo Marans as a substitute.
I was thinking maybe the same thing but since they have the feathered feet I was thinking maybe not cuckoo? The comb looks a lot smaller than my barred rock Roos at 8 weeks but who knows. I will be pretty sad since I bought 6 of them and paid for pullets.

I was thinking maybe the same thing but since they have the feathered feet I was thinking maybe not cuckoo? The comb looks a lot smaller than my barred rock Roos at 8 weeks but who knows. I will be pretty sad since I bought 6 of them and paid for pullets.
Cuckoo marans can also have feathered feet, and it looks like those are what you have. They also look like pullets!

I would be disappointed too just from the number of males.

However I think you have French Cuckoo Marans pullets. The "French" means feathered legs from what I am seeing.

Back
Top Bottom