Rooster Collar Not Consistent

BornFelder

Chirping
Jun 7, 2020
Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
Hi all,

Spoiler alert, not interested in people's opinions regarding the ethics of collars.
This post is hopefully to troubleshoot a sporadically effective collar, which if can't be resolved will result in said rooster being et!
We have opted for a DIY collar, 1" wide velcro job, started it loosish, gradually made it tighter, and thought we had it pretty good for a few weeks, then BAM! Full noise crowing at 4AM! Tightened the collar a bit more as there was a bit of slack, and now it seems to work on 2 out of every 3 crows, but the 3rd one is FULL noise.
Reluctant to tighten it again as it is where I feel it should be, and is working perfectly 66% of the time.

As for darkened coops stopping him crowing in the morning..... I went so far with this that now the hens have stopped perching as it is too dark inside the coop! Ergo todays job is installing a nighht light for them to go to bed with :rolleyes::lol:

TIA

Dan

Hi all,

Spoiler alert, not interested in people's opinions regarding the ethics of collars.
This post is hopefully to troubleshoot a sporadically effective collar, which if can't be resolved will result in said rooster being et!
We have opted for a DIY collar, 1" wide velcro job, started it loosish, gradually made it tighter, and thought we had it pretty good for a few weeks, then BAM! Full noise crowing at 4AM! Tightened the collar a bit more as there was a bit of slack, and now it seems to work on 2 out of every 3 crows, but the 3rd one is FULL noise.
Reluctant to tighten it again as it is where I feel it should be, and is working perfectly 66% of the time.

As for darkened coops stopping him crowing in the morning..... I went so far with this that now the hens have stopped perching as it is too dark inside the coop! Ergo todays job is installing a nighht light for them to go to bed with :rolleyes::lol:

TIA

Dan
Sorry, no offense intended. The chicken night light just tickled me.

Try removing just the rooster at night from the coop and putting him in a box in a dark place, where sound is also muffled, like a garage or basement. Put air holes in the box and a stick for a roost through the sides. A cardboard box will do. Then take him out in the mornings at a decent time. No collar needed. He will crow during the day but the early mornings are not going to bother your neighbours.

I think it is a much better solution to the crowing problem than collars, which although you didn't want to hear it, are restrictive and unpleasant, and often don't work.

It takes more effort to crow at the same volume, but depending on the personality of the rooster, some will still put in the effort. So I read on the commercial instructions.

Back
Top Bottom