Rooster limping/curled foot

Tashavas

In the Brooder
Jul 18, 2022
Posting here hoping to get some insight/advice.
Not sure if anybody else experienced anything like this with their chickens but I’m not sure what’s going on.
Our 6 month old roo started displaying issues with his left leg/foot over a week ago.
It literally happened from one day to the other. He’s limping and can’t put any weight on it. He’s otherwise doing fine, eating, drinking normally.
My daughter is a vet tech and although her doctors are not having a lot of knowledge about chickens they are always trying to help when issues arise.
She took him to her clinic and took X-rays to see if anything was broken but that’s not the case. They gave anti-inflammatories but that didn’t help either. It’s definitely gotten worse and he’s now always curling his foot (like you can see in the picture I posted) and he’s not able to put any weight on the leg/foot.
Anybody had something like that happen to their chicken and is there hope that it can get better?
Any input would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_6187.jpeg
    IMG_6187.jpeg
    522.7 KB · Views: 74
This can be a vitamin B deficiency or the early stages of lymphoid leucosis. The first you can treat with B-complex. The second isn't treatable. You will know which he has after you treat with B-complex for a couple of months. If the foot gets worse instead of better, then he has the avian virus.

It’s possible that it could be early sign of Mareks disease at this age, if the leg seems numb, and the toes curled under. It could also be an injury that is affecting the sciatic nerve in the leg. I would also recommend human B complex vitamins 1/2 tablet daily in a spoonful or water or food. Do you have any pictures of how the chicken is sitting or lying down? If it is an injury, it could possibly get better with resting for a few weeks. Make sure that he can reach enough food and water. If you should lose her you could have your state vet perform a necropsy.

This can be a vitamin B deficiency or the early stages of lymphoid leucosis. The first you can treat with B-complex. The second isn't treatable. You will know which he has after you treat with B-complex for a couple of months. If the foot gets worse instead of better, then he has the avian virus.
We did start to give him vitamins (Poultry Cell and Rooster Booster) to see if it is due to vitamin deficiency. It’s only been a little more than a week though and if it is due to a deficiency then it sounds like this might take a long while to improve.
He’s a very shy and flighty guy and I’m sure the situation also stresses him out which is probably not helping the cause.
Should we add the B-complex or just treat with that?

It’s possible that it could be early sign of Mareks disease at this age, if the leg seems numb, and the toes curled under. It could also be an injury that is affecting the sciatic nerve in the leg. I would also recommend human B complex vitamins 1/2 tablet daily in a spoonful or water or food. Do you have any pictures of how the chicken is sitting or lying down? If it is an injury, it could possibly get better with resting for a few weeks. Make sure that he can reach enough food and water. If you should lose her you could have your state vet perform a necropsy.
Thanks for the response. We do have him separated and he’s sitting down a lot. He does eat, drink and poop normally.
His leg/foot seem to have no feeling at all. It looks quite limp and he can’t use it at all at the moment.
I’ll try to get a pic of him in his pen laying down and post it hopefully soon.

Poulytry Cell and Rooster Booster don't have high enough dosage of the vitamins for therapeutic purposes. You need at minimum 50mg of B-2, 6, and 12, and vitamin E in at least 1000mg. Get them where they sell human vitamins.

Poulytry Cell and Rooster Booster don't have high enough dosage of the vitamins for therapeutic purposes. You need at minimum 50mg of B-2, 6, and 12, and vitamin E in at least 1000mg. Get them where they sell human vitamins.
Would it be beneficial to administer Vitamin B12 injections subcutaneously?

I just took some picture of him in his pen. This is how he sits if he’s not hopping around on his good leg.

Attachments

• IMG_2915.jpeg
    IMG_2915.jpeg
    728 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2916.jpeg
    IMG_2916.jpeg
    407.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2919.jpeg
    IMG_2919.jpeg
    448.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2920.jpeg
    IMG_2920.jpeg