Run Size

I don't know when the recomondation is, but I have 6 hens and we have a run for them 20' x 15' And to me that seems small at times. But starting this weekend we will start them with free ranging for when we are home.
wee.gif
When we are not it's in the run again.

Will they be in there all the time or free ranging some? Seems to me it might be a tad bit small....can you make it wider? You will have 147 SQ FT....devided by 4 sq ft per bird...you should be able to have 36 chickens.....however, to me that seems a bit crowded.

We have a lot of hawks and predators in the area so I would love to give them all plenty of room-- but safely.....so yes, they will need to stay in a run...

We plan to build the run with 1" Galvanized pipe for the frame and poultry wire for the sides...possibly using those zip strip/quick tie things to attach the wire to the pipe. The top will be partly covered with steel and the other with "garden netting" possibly which may also be attached with those zip strip things. Any suggestions would be wonderful!

Last edited:
poultry wire?? Chicken fencing? If you have predators there....fox...mink...skunks...coon..they can tear through Chicken fencing like wet paper. You might want to go with the welded wire fencing.

We used dog runs for ours and simply added ALOT of extra sides to make them bigger. I am currently fencing in part of our wooded bank with regular chicken fencing. We used bird netting to cover the entire runs so the could not fly out and nothing could fly in.(hawks or owls) We too used "zip ties", and I was very impressed at how well they held up over time and how well they worked. We did use industral grade ones though that are rather thick and you need a set of wire cutters to cut the ends off.
We also made use to build the chicken housing close to one of our coon dogs as an extra little deturent to anyone wanting to raid the hen house.
So far we have had no trouble with anything getting in. And we have all the predators mentioned in our back yard and see them regulary. I figure it is only a matter of time though til someone does try to get in.
I would go alittle bigger in run size though then you were planning, I am one of those people that extra space is always better. Also if you can afford it swing for the more expencive welded wire (1x2 inch) if you are really concerned about predators. Even though I have not had problems using regular chicken wire, safer is better then sorry.

Just a little confused here...
hu.gif
I thought the coop, er, house should be 4sqft per bird, but the outdoor run should be 10sqft per bird?
idunno.gif
Eventually I'll figure this all out LOL... hopefully before we actually put the chicks INTO the entire contraption, and then realize we have to fence in more space!

**I'm blond, though, so sometimes I confuse easily** LOL!

-Meg

I thought the same thing Meg. I have 12 chickens right now and the plan for my pen will be 160 sq feet. Even that, I thought, was a bit small for me. But they will free range also.

Back
Top Bottom