Save the Geese(In need of that legendary BYC back-up!)

I just find it hard to believe there is not a better solution.

I understand that there is a population of Canada geese that are "resident" geese and do not migrate, and it seems that this population is where the majority of the trouble stems from. I understand that there may be a population problem do to this.

It is human error that began this non-migrating cycle, when live decoys were banned. The resident geese can be stopped in a better way through population control. They have even invented a CONTRACEPTIVE for geese, all you have to do is feed it to them. That combined with egg oiling or addling, would put a massive dent in the "resident" goose population explosion. If you stop them from reproducing, you'll bring the resident geese to an end eventually. Stop the production and allow the existing population to live natural lives(and deaths) and then there won't be such a huge issue anymore.

This solution they've come up with is ineffective. This flock they plan on destroying will only be replaced with other.

The swan story was extremely ridiculous! I can't even believe that they would do that. Those swans could have been rounded up and been turned into a waterfowl rescue. There the swans could have been split into family units and adopted/released onto private ponds of people who wanted them. If I had known, I would have gotten some! If the swans are flighted, then they could be adopted out to homes with enclosed aviaries or money could have been raised to pinion the birds, so they would stay where they are wanted.
hmm.png

Whoo! We're up to 750 signatures, from all different states AND countries!! Have you signed it yet?

That is horrible that they want to kill them that way. I understand hunting, and I am okay with that. But killing them when they can't fly? That is not correct in any way what so ever - thats not sportsmen like at all. I can't even fathom who would come up with that idea....who ever it is, they must have no heart. That is God's creation, and yes he made them so we can eat and such - but to kill them just because "there is to many", especially when they have babies by their side and can't fly....that is horrible.

Oh, and I also signed it

I am so sick and tired of hearing people say "they are nuisances"....come one!!!! we are the nuisances...we are taking over their homes......

I am going to sign it

Well the big kicker in this story is that there are MANY domestic geese there as well. When volunteers offered to remove the domestics, the community said they did not want ALL the domestics removed.

So basically, the community wants "some" geese and want to feed the domestics and continue to allow people to feed bread to the geese, BUT they do NOT want the wild Canada geese that are attracted there by the domestics and the feeding.

The domestics are the ones who do not belong in the parks and golf courses, these were simply abandoned or dumped there. But the community doesn't want to remove and rehome the domestics, they simply want to kill the wild ones.
roll.png

Just a couple videos in regards to this "1000" goose overpopulation. We're still trying to figure out just how they got this number...
roll.png

Signed.

I'm not opposed to hunting. I was even tempted to put a few geese in the pot that spent all summer in my goose pasture getting fat on the feed my geese were supposed to be eating.

I also wouldn't be opposed to rounding up a bunch of geese and shooting them IF:

1. They were overcrowded

2. The meat was going to be used (shelters, etc)

3. It was NOT during a period when young were being raised.

Isn't it illegal to hunt animals while they are raising young? I know it's 100% illegal to do it with predators in America. I can't imagine why it wouldn't be illegal for prey, too.

They're obviously doing this because it's a cheap fix. Why spend money on trained dogs, oils or contraceptives when you get rally up a bunch of guys with guns who will happily shoot stuff all morning?

Back
Top Bottom