Sebastopol geese have very pink feet

Crazy Birds

Chirping
Mar 22, 2022
I noticed the other day that my Sebastopol geese have very pink feet. There hasn't been much snow but it has been cold (Under 16 degrees Fahrenheit every night.) They get locked into a house with ventilation - but the house doesn't stay super warm. Is pink feet normal in sebbies? I'm worried it's the first signs of frostbite. :oops: I'll try to post some pictures in a bit.
Thank you!

As long as there bedding is dry they should be fine at night geese keep there feet and beaks warm by pulling them up or tucking them into there thick down. Best way to know if there not tolerating the cold when outside is they will lay down allot all with feet pulled in and beak tucked in. My geese can usually handle 10 degree then I see a little more tucked in. Pale feet can mean a iron deficiency. I dont know allot about your bred though.

Thank you for this! I know my ducks tuck feet/faces into their down, but my geese just lay on their feet without tucking them in :idunno They have lots of fresh dry straw for night, and it's now not getting about 20 degrees (Fahrenheit) during the day and has been -10 degrees at night with lots of snow on the ground. Is this still something I should not be worried about?

Thank you for this! I know my ducks tuck feet/faces into their down, but my geese just lay on their feet without tucking them in :idunno They have lots of fresh dry straw for night, and it's now not getting about 20 degrees (Fahrenheit) during the day and has been -10 degrees at night with lots of snow on the ground. Is this still something I should not be worried about?
I raise heavyweight African geese so dont know allot about Sebastopol's. Or fluffy feathers. However I have read that my geese a susceptible to frost bite on there knob. I have never gotten frost bite on a knob. Today wind chill is below 0 and were headed into the Arctic stuff coming in for a week. My geese will still be going outside to eat and drink and I can guarantee none will head for the barn to get out of it till I say Night Night time. When they first come out in the morning they do quick lay down.s to warm there feet. Get back up but within a few min are all actively eating drinking. When we get 80-90mph winds the geese get on the windiest hill at the top and then tuck back there head. Plenty of places to get out of the wind but no they enjoy it and take a tucked in nap.
Not sure if Im being helpful but geese do come equipped for really cold weather. And there smart. Just keep them dry at night without drafts my guess is they can do the rest

Back
Top Bottom