Setting up for guineas

DukesDucks

Crowing
Oct 6, 2019
Eastern Ontario, Canada
I already have chickens, peacocks, and ducks so have some experience with poultry, but am now getting some guineas.
I have done lots of readying so hope that I have everything necessary. They will have a coop that is 10 x 10 and 8 ft high. This is attached to a run that is 15 x 15 and 12 ft high. I am heading into a long, cold winter so my plan is to keep them in the coop and run until spring. Does this seem like a good plan?
At 5 months, will they need supplemental heat? They will be secured into the coop at night.
I have been in contact with a local person who is selling 5 month olds. She claims to know which are female but from what I have been reading on this forum I as skeptical. I'm planning on starting with 7 - 10. Is there a optimum number of females per males? Future eggs and keets are not my focus for getting guineas.

I already have chickens, peacocks, and ducks so have some experience with poultry, but am now getting some guineas.
I have done lots of readying so hope that I have everything necessary. They will have a coop that is 10 x 10 and 8 ft high. This is attached to a run that is 15 x 15 and 12 ft high. I am heading into a long, cold winter so my plan is to keep them in the coop and run until spring. Does this seem like a good plan?
At 5 months, will they need supplemental heat? They will be secured into the coop at night.
I have been in contact with a local person who is selling 5 month olds. She claims to know which are female but from what I have been reading on this forum I as skeptical. I'm planning on starting with 7 - 10. Is there a optimum number of females per males? Future eggs and keets are not my focus for getting guineas.
Mine weathered the cold better than my chickens at the same age.

They do fine with up to a 1:1 male to female ratio and you want to keep them cooped up for at least six weeks if you're planning on free ranging them.

10 is regarded as the minimum for proper flock dynamics.

Also you can't have too many roosting bars, and have some in the covered run for any hot summer nights. All of mine liked to sleep "outside" in the middle of summer.

The run is a bit small. Guineas need a lot more room than chickens need. The coop is about right for 10 adult guineas although I did slowly squeeze 15 into My Coop.

Five month old guineas should be okay without supplemental heat. Your local person should be able to sex 5 month old guineas by their calls. If she is sexing them by another method, I would be skeptical.

I never recommend having fewer than 10 guineas.

One to one is the preferred male to female ratio. I like to have a few more hens than males since not all males are satisfied with just one hen.

Good luck.

Thanks for the feedback. I was just thinking that I will add roosts to the outside run. There are some in the coop.
I am in the process of building a slightly bigger coop that will have a much bigger run. I wanted to make sure they would be ok in the smaller run until it is complete. It has already snowed so I have to get my butt in gear and get it done.

Thanks for the feedback. I was just thinking that I will add roosts to the outside run. There are some in the coop.
I am in the process of building a slightly bigger coop that will have a much bigger run. I wanted to make sure they would be ok in the smaller run until it is complete. It has already snowed so I have to get my butt in gear and get it done.
Their first snow can be a serious problem. If they take to the trees, they won't come down. My first serious snow I sprinkled hay on the snow to make a runway for them to land on.

Back
Top Bottom