Sex of 6 week old buff rocks

sirreldar

Hatching
May 1, 2023
Hi all,
Yet another new chicken owner here that isn't entirely sure of what I am doing, and I am hoping some of you can help.

The wife bought 6 chicks from TSC and says they are definitely all hens and were labeled "unisex" at the store. But as they grow, I am more and more convinced they are straight runs... I think either wife misread "unsexed" or possibly TSC had them mislabeled.

Based on combs and wattles alone, I think 1-3 are cockerels and 4-6 are pullets. Other than this remarkable difference, they are nearly identical. No spurs yet, no crowing yet, no noticeable difference in behavior, no obvious (to me) difference in tail feathers, overall sizes are similar.

If they are definitely cockerels, I would like to be rid of them sooner rather than later. If there is still a chance they might be pullets, I could wait it out a bit longer. The difference in combs and wattles is distinct enough that I suspect I already know the answer, but confirmation from some folks that know what they are doing would be very welcomed.

Sorry for the bad pictures. I can get more / better ones if they would be helpful.

TYIA

VDAbZnJ.png

Thank you all for your responses and input. Sounds pretty unanimous that 1-3 are definitely cockerels. I was hoping (wishing?) that I would be wrong and someone would tell me I'm just being impatient. Perhaps just in denial that I would have to give up half of our babies since roosters are prohibited here where I live 😭

Either way, thanks again everyone for your help. It gives me peace of mind that I will not be making (another) mistake by looking into re-homing them!

Back
Top Bottom