Should i change hatchery?Size of breeds considerably smaller.

@Mamagirl3 , I see you are in Missouri. By any chance did your birds come from Estes hatchery? If so, I have some feedback from my experience with them.
No they did not. They came from townline. I chose them because they would ship free for as few chix as 15. And they didnt have to be one breed...
I have not heard of Estes.
If you are in missouri... do you know where i can find breeders to buy from?

Others have suggested that as well... but i cant find breeders anywhere near me. 2 we saw said breeders and hatchery...on the same sign.
Found 1 fella about 2 hours south of us but he bred and raised fighting cocks.
Thank you so very much for your response!

They can be challenging to find since small scale breeders don't have the advertising dollars, but trust me they are out there. They usually focus on just one or two breeds. If you search / ask for Orpington breeders in Missouri, or Jersey Giant breeders, that should be more effective. On FB there are groups specific to each breed, join a couple and ask there. Many breeders around the country ship chicks. First get specific on what you want :)

Hatchery layers are bred to produce eggs nothing else. Find a breeder if you want something close to the standard. Tight breeding will produce smaller chickens and I would venture to say, totally guessing that hatcheries breeding whatever to whatever. All they are worried about is numbers to sell

Back
Top Bottom