Should I get Ameraucana?

ChasingChooks

Songster
Jan 28, 2024
Hi everyone,

I have an opportunity for a friend to hatch Ameraucanas. I've done a bit of research on them, but I'm wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this breed. Specifically, temperament or experience with them? It appears that they don't lay a lot of eggs compared to some other breeds, so I don't know if they are a good investment, yet.

Thank you!

Depends. These chickens do not lay as frequently as other breeds, A healthy Ameraucana hen will lay about 3 to 4 eggs per week. This means you can expect around 150 to 200 eggs per year from each bird. However, the main reason that people get these birds is because their eggs are normally colored! They are an overall great bird to get, so it is really up to you. I have had some experience with them, they are normally very friendly and will be broody.

Hi, there! I have 3 Ameracauna hens, among others. They are quite young, so only one is laying right now. She lays about 6 greenish/blue eggs per week and has very pretty plumage. The other two Ameracauna hens of mine are super sweet. One jumps onto my shoulder whenever I'm in the coop! And the other will walk straight into my arms for a hug! She even pecks at my legs and/or feet to get me to pick her up. Anyways, all that to say, Ameracauna hens are a great choice for a hen! SUPER friendly and cute!

Thank you! They sound like friendly birds! I don't have a rooster currently, so I wouldn't want them to go broody. Maybe I need to get another roo as well! :)
Hmmm, I actually haven't heard of them going broody regularly and I haven't had any experience with broody Americaunas, but I haven't had them for very long, anyways. :confused:

I would totally recommend getting a rooster. I had a really good experience with an ISA roo. He was super gentle and friendly. One of my ISA hens actually went broody a few months ago, and I now have 3 beautiful home-grown girls, two of which are laying now! (They grow up SO fast!)

P.S. My profile picture is one of my Americaunas as a chick. She was a REALLY CUTE chick!

Hmmm, I actually haven't heard of them going broody regularly and I haven't had any experience with broody Americaunas, but I haven't had them for very long, anyways. :confused:

I would totally recommend getting a rooster. I had a really good experience with an ISA roo. He was super gentle and friendly. One of my ISA hens actually went broody a few months ago, and I now have 3 beautiful home-grown girls, two of which are laying now! (They grow up SO fast!)

P.S. My profile picture is one of my Americaunas as a chick. She was a REALLY CUTE chick!
Thanks for the advice! I used to have a rooster, Hercules. He was the best, not aggressive at all. I was looking at roosters on Kijiji and found an Easter Egger. Perhaps a dumb question, but is it fine to have any breed of rooster with any breed of hen?

Anyways, not the best picture, but this is Hercules in the center. Never did find out what breed he was. :)

1707347593531.png

Thanks for the advice! I used to have a rooster, Hercules. He was the best, not aggressive at all. I was looking at roosters on Kijiji and found an Easter Egger. Perhaps a dumb question, but is it fine to have any breed of rooster with any breed of hen?

Anyways, not the best picture, but this is Hercules in the center. Never did find out what breed he was. :)

View attachment 3742837
I don't think there's anything wrong with getting a rooster of any breed. However, I would be hesitant to do so if you plan on hatching out eggs just because it makes it tricky to try to mix two breeds and who knows what you'll end up with.

I actually got an Americauna roo chick along with my other Americauna pullets. When he was old enough to begin breeding with the hens, I ended up getting rid of him because he was a big JERK to them and eventually to me. But Americauna roos are friendly in general, especially if you handle them a lot when they're chicks, which I should've done more.

I just looked it up and Hercules looks like a cross between a Salmon Faverolle and a Silkie maybe?

Hope this helps!

Ameraucana are fantastic birds. I find having a couple black ones in your flock helps protect from predatory birds. Since I started my black ameraucana flock, I've had zero problems with hawk and eagle predation despite a very healthy population of all those birds in my area. The theory is that having black birds in your flock gives the impression of crows amongst your chickens. And predatory birds want nothing to do with crows. Not to mention, ameraucana are better than many breeds at looking out for predators in the first place.

They're pretty average as far as egg layers go, but they're fantastic foragers and are extremely cold hardy. And as was mentioned above, you get pretty blue eggs. (As long as they're true ameraucana and not Easter eggers) Get you some, and you won't be disappointed.
Side note, Ameraucana are color specific. Meaning that unless the bird is one of the accepted colors by the American poultry association, or an active project to get a color accepted by the APA, it is not an ameraucana . Many times people selling "ameraucana" are actually selling Easter eggers. That can lay green, pink, or blue eggs instead of just blue like a legitimate ameraucana.

Last edited:
Well, perhaps I'll get some Ameraucanas after all. A friend is hatching them, so perhaps he can hatch some for me. While I love pretty birds (who doesn't?), our chickens are more for eggs. If I am going to invest in some hens, I want ones that lay well. Basically, leghorns. I'll check what he will sell them for.

They may just be Easter eggers, but that's fine, I suppose. :)

And yes, he does look a lot like a Salmon Faverolle! Those feathered feet. I remember one time, he did a somersault when flying down from the roost. :p

Well, perhaps I'll get some Ameraucanas after all. A friend is hatching them, so perhaps he can hatch some for me. While I love pretty birds (who doesn't?), our chickens are more for eggs. If I am going to invest in some hens, I want ones that lay well. Basically, leghorns. I'll check what he will sell them for.

They may just be Easter eggers, but that's fine, I suppose. :)

And yes, he does look a lot like a Salmon Faverolle! Those feathered feet. I remember one time, he did a somersault when flying down from the roost. :p
Yay! I hope you have a great experience with your future Americaunas (or Easter Eggers)!

Lol I've never heard of a chicken doing a somersault! That's so funny and cute!:gig

I'm glad I was able to help you! :hugs

Back
Top Bottom