Should I keep giving my chickens corid/amprolium?

citychicks99

Songster
Aug 20, 2021
Seattle, WA
We have 2 chickens, both under 2 months old. My brother built a small coop for them in the backyard with the ground as their floor and they've been rolling in the dirt and taking dust baths. Yesterday, I went out to look at them, and I noticed what looked like dried blood in a dropping. It was bright red but I only saw one of these. I freaked out and immediately drove 20 miles to get them corid/amprolium. Was that blood that I saw? Wouldn't dried blood be dark brown? I already swept it away so I can't show a picture. The chickens were acting fine and eating and being playful but I gave them amprolium, 3/4 teaspoon to one gallon of water, because I read that coccidiosis can act very quickly and that got me scared. I also read that it can make their stomachs upset so I gave them a little bit of low-fat plain yogurt to try and help with probiotics. I also gave them chick grit to help them digest, as I've been doing every time I give them non chick feed food. I did give them a bit of hard-boiled eggs with spinach the day before but they seem to love that and it hasn't caused any issues before. I saw just now that with one of their droppings, it looks like diarrhea. Sorry for the graphic pics but I think it'd be best if I just show you guys. I don't know if this might be from the coccidiosis or from the corid making their stomachs upset? Should I complete treatment and keep giving them the corid for the rest of the 4/5 days?
IMG_20210820_112455821.jpg

IMG_20210820_112407697.jpg

If you do suspect coccidiosis I'd recommend completing the full treatment. Giving them yogurt/eggs would be good every other day or so, but make sure they are eating their normal pellet/crumble feed everyday as well.

As for the poop, I can't say much other than my chickens have had poop that looked like it before and they're all okay.

@Wyorp Rock @azygous would definitely be able to give more details on this matter.

If you do suspect coccidiosis I'd recommend completing the full treatment. Giving them yogurt/eggs would be good every other day or so, but make sure they are eating their normal pellet/crumble feed everyday as well.

As for the poop, I can't say much other than my chickens have had poop that looked like it before and they're all okay.

@Wyorp Rock @azygous would definitely be able to give more details on this matter.
Thanks, I will wait for their reply.

Would it be harmful to give the chickens corid if they did not actually have coccidiosis? I'll give them yogurt tomorrow then since I already gave them some yesterday. First time chicken owner here so I apologize if it seems like I'm freaking out too much. :)

Thanks, I will wait for their reply.

Would it be harmful to give the chickens corid if they did not actually have coccidiosis? I'll give them yogurt tomorrow then since I already gave them some yesterday. First time chicken owner here so I apologize if it seems like I'm freaking out too much. :)
No need to apologize :)

I understand, even though I have had chickens for years, if something I haven't dealt with comes up, I still freak out a bit.

This is a great place to learn and get help with these kinds of things, you're in the right place!

Even if you're not 100% certain you're dealing with coccidiosis, many times the recommendation is to treat with corid just in case, so I don't believe it should do your chicks any harm at all but the two tagged will be able to answer that better :)

I went out to look at them, and I noticed what looked like dried blood in a dropping. It was bright red but I only saw one of these. I freaked out and immediately drove 20 miles to get them corid/amprolium. Was that blood that I saw? Wouldn't dried blood be dark brown?

The chickens were acting fine and eating and being playful but I gave them amprolium, 3/4 teaspoon to one gallon of water, because I read that coccidiosis can act very quickly and that got me scared.
Blood can be bright red in poop.

If you already started the Corid, then I would finish treatment. Give them the full dose of 1 1/2 teaspoons of Corid Powder per gallon of water instead of the 3/4 tsp. Give for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.

Back
Top Bottom