Should I wait to see if a duck sets on 28 egg clutch?

zook

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 21, 2013
Nova Scotia, Canada
My 2 Muscovy hens have a nest in the corner of their coop. It has 28 eggs in it as of today as I counted them when they were out for a swim in the kiddie pool. They keep adding eggs to it every day. Some of the first laid eggs must be getting to their limit chance of hatching. For a while it was only one duck laying then both started so I would say 14 days from first egg to the number now of 28. Nobody seems to show any inclination of setting at all. Other than laying in the nest nobody bothers with the eggs. the drake lives with them and are absolutely fine with him and he does not touch the nest area.

How much longer should I wait and see if someone sets or should I pull the eggs soon.
Opinions welcome!

Last edited:
Hi I raise muscovey and I can tell you my ladies wont set till they have 30 eggs! Now some of the young girls will set at 25 or so but the experienced ladies wait till at least 30 and wonder upon wonder usually all but2-3 hatch! They wont show any interest at all till they think it looks right (either that or they can count!!) lol Give it alittle more time

Back
Top Bottom