Sick bantam chicken

Empressive

Hatching
Jul 13, 2023
I bought 3 bantams, 1 roo and 2 hens as well as another roo, satin silkie, all from the same place back in April. They were said to be 3 months. I recently lost my roo to something unknown. Seemed like he had curly toe paralysis but I'm not sure. Bantam roo is growing fine and one bantam hen just started laying eggs however my other bantam hen feels very light like my roo did before he passed.

Her energy is very off, now she's been sitting down and closing her eyes. She is still drinking and eating. I also noticed some blue sround her eyes, her toes are starting to curl and some weird poop which I believe may be from her. Can anyone please tell me what's going on ?? I really don't want to lose her too.

I gave her some electrolytes and vitamins directly by syringe this morning.

Attachments

• 3AB786E7-5137-474E-A71F-61AFD741C792.png
    3AB786E7-5137-474E-A71F-61AFD741C792.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 109
  • A18402B0-A800-4A79-A5F2-90BFDA9E99E2.jpeg
    A18402B0-A800-4A79-A5F2-90BFDA9E99E2.jpeg
    440.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 23209530-29AF-46EF-9A7E-084EE461514F.png
    23209530-29AF-46EF-9A7E-084EE461514F.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 6
What do you feed?

I make sure she's eating her chick starter really well. Check to make sure her crop is emptying overnight. You are providing grit (crushed granite) right?

I'd also start treating for Coccidiosis. You can find Corid in most stores like TSC.
Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Do not add any extra vitamins/electrolytes that contain B1(Thiamine) to food or water during the course of treatment.

Update: unfortunately she passed this morning :(. I fed her grower feed up until the recommended amount of weeks and around that time learned that roosters can get too much calcium from layer feed so I started giving everyone all flock feed. I only noticed in the past 2 days that I stopped seeing her with a full crop. I noticed the poop she left behind looked like it had something that resemble bell pepper seeds in it.

As far as Corid treatment, I was advised to give the chickens electrolytes to help with the hot weather

Update: unfortunately she passed this morning :(. I fed her grower feed up until the recommended amount of weeks and around that time learned that roosters can get too much calcium from layer feed so I started giving everyone all flock feed. I only noticed in the past 2 days that I stopped seeing her with a full crop. I noticed the poop she left behind looked like it had something that resemble bell pepper seeds in it.

As far as Corid treatment, I was advised to give the chickens electrolytes to help with the hot weather
I'm sorry for your loss.

The poop in your photos is questionable and has intestinal shedding. Her stance said she was not well. I would have treated with Corid for Coccidiosis.
While Electrolytes may be helpful in hot weather, they are not going to treat anything.

If you have any more with poop like that or are standing about like that, then treat with Corid. Make sure they are drinking the medicated water, that they have shade and that they have grit (crushed granite) free choice so they can process foods.

Back
Top Bottom