sick chicken

between chicken mommas

In the Brooder
Jan 22, 2023
i have a small easter egger mix who’s probably a little over a year old. she is a frequent layer, and hatched out a set of babies recently. she’s been perfectly healthy with no sign of sickness or anything. yesterday morning she started acting strange. when i let the chickens out of their run, she was very slow to get out, which is very unlike her as she usually runs out. i didn’t think anything of it. i fed the chickens some of her favorite treats, like mealworms, corn, and blueberries. usually she eats all she can. but instead she didn’t eat anything and just stood in one place. when i let the chickens out to free range while i cleaned the coop, she again was slow to get out, and then followed the flock but didnt interact. she didn’t pick through the grass or anything she just stood staring. when i let the chickens back into the coop last night, she didn’t budge and i had to carry her into the coop. the same thing happened today, so i isolated her and put her in a crate in our garage with vitamin water, food, and a bowl of scrambled eggs. she’s still not acting right and only takes a few bites of the eggs before giving up on them. her crop is normal and her vent is clear. not sure what’s happening and responses are greatly appreciated!

What’s her diet?? What did her last poo look like? Help me understand, she isn’t eating and she is having trouble walking? Have you checked/treated her for mites or worms recently?

@Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive
she has a steady diet, we feed her organic pellets and eggshells so she’s getting plenty of calcium. she eats blueberries, cabbage, and other vegetables. her last poo was very watery with a bit of blood.. i’ve seen her take a few bites of eggs we gave her and then become uninterested. she walks fine, but she’s been in a dazed state lately. she walks normally, but she seems very dazed, standing around a lot and staring at nothing. We dusted for mites recently and haven’t had any trouble with them, we dewormed about 5 months ago (recommend to deworm every 6 months) however when we first got her she did have worms but that was in february and she recovered. i’m afraid she might have coccidia but i’m not sure..

i have a small easter egger mix who’s probably a little over a year old. she is a frequent layer, and hatched out a set of babies recently. she’s been perfectly healthy with no sign of sickness or anything. yesterday morning she started acting strange. when i let the chickens out of their run, she was very slow to get out, which is very unlike her as she usually runs out. i didn’t think anything of it. i fed the chickens some of her favorite treats, like mealworms, corn, and blueberries. usually she eats all she can. but instead she didn’t eat anything and just stood in one place. when i let the chickens out to free range while i cleaned the coop, she again was slow to get out, and then followed the flock but didnt interact. she didn’t pick through the grass or anything she just stood staring. when i let the chickens back into the coop last night, she didn’t budge and i had to carry her into the coop. the same thing happened today, so i isolated her and put her in a crate in our garage with vitamin water, food, and a bowl of scrambled eggs. she’s still not acting right and only takes a few bites of the eggs before giving up on them. her crop is normal and her vent is clear. not sure what’s happening and responses are greatly appreciated!
When was her last egg?

Photos of her and her poop?

I'd re-check just to make sure she doesn't have lice or mites, look her over for any injury.
Check her crop, what's it like? Is it emptying overnight?

What did you deworm with? Product, dose and period of time?

I'd work on hydration. Electrolytes or sugar water. Encourage her to eat her normal feed wet or dry. Cut out some of the extra treats until she's feeling better.

When was her last egg?

I'd re-check just to make sure she doesn't have lice or mites, look her over for any injury.

I'd work on hydration. Electrolytes or sugar water. Encourage her to eat her normal feed wet or dry. Cut out some of the extra treats until she's feeling better.
her last egg was several days ago.. probably about three days. i’ll attach a photo of her and her poo tomorrow when she wakes up.
When was her last egg?

her last egg was a few days ago, probably about 3 days. as far as i can tell her crop is emptying as it should, and no lice or mites. right now all she’s had for food is scrambled and raw eggs for calcium and dry food. i haven’t seen her eat either but this morning she is drinking.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    360.1 KB · Views: 11
If she were mine, I'd give her extra calcium. You can find Calcium Citrate with D3 at your pharmacy or at stores like Walmart, CVS, etc.
Give her 1 tablet daily for 5 days.
Check to make sure her crop is emptying overnight, if it isn't, then address that symptom. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Poop that is watery with a bit of blood, I'd treat for worms and Coccidiosis. I'd still feel inside the vent for an egg membrane and inspect the vent for signs of prolapse or damage.

If she were mine, I'd give her extra calcium. You can find Calcium Citrate with D3 at your pharmacy or at stores like Walmart, CVS, etc.
Give her 1 tablet daily for 5 days.
Check to make sure her crop is emptying overnight, if it isn't, then address that symptom. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Poop that is watery with a bit of blood, I'd treat for worms and Coccidiosis. I'd still feel inside the vent for an egg membrane and inspect the vent for signs of prolapse or damage.
thank you so much

Is her crop emptying overnight?

She's not well, her stance says so.

I would lean toward a reproductive problem - whether it's infection, EYP, Internal Laying...hard to know.

I'd consider giving her an antibiotic like Amoxicillin, dose is 57mg per pound of weight given orally 2times a day for 7-10days.
Give her 1 Calcium Citrate tablet for 3-5days.
Work on hydration, get some sugar water or electrolytes into her. Offer wet soupy feed, bits of egg, fish, etc. to see if you can entice her to eat.

If possible, get a fecal float to rule out worms and/or Coccidiosis as part of the problem.

Back
Top Bottom