Gasping chicken

Fanatic4felines

Chirping
Jul 10, 2023
Came home today to my serama chicken gasping. Her comb is pale too. Keeps closing her eyes too. She was vibrant red comb last weekend and earlier this week. Eating and drinking fine. Pooping normal as well.

There are only 3 chickens in this coop/run. 2 seramas and one barred rock who is blind. They get along fine and the seramas will get close to barred rock when frightened. Hiding under her. She actually crows.

I tried to attach a video but it’s not an option? Here are some photos. The last photo from video was Wednesday and you can see her comb is red.

Sorry I just saw the questions I was to answer just now!

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
Serama. 1 year old about 1.2 pounds. Feels the same as her sister.
2) What is the behavior, exactly. Gasping, tired, comb no longer vibrant
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Started today sometime.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
No idea. Maybe stress from rats. Neighbor sold his house. New neighbors moved and are cleaning up. Suddenly I have a ton of rats and none before. 30 gone already about 5 to go.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Layer feed, water with red cell in it this week. After free ranging I give sunflower seeds, mealworms, oyster shells, and cracked corn. Only 2 small handfuls of all combined for 3 birds. It goes in the bowl. Oysters shells are put in the bowl several times a day because of the blind chicken.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. it looked fine
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Ivermectin tonight by dropper. Dropper dipped in liquid not syringed and tapped on back for a super tiny dose!
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I will treat unless it is necessary for a vet.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Coop has pine shaving that I clean the poop out twice a day. Since blind chicken can not get up to roost she prefers the floor. It’s deep. Once a week, I remove the top layer clean up anything below, and readd. Once it’s warmer at night, I will completely clean it out weekly. Seramas can roost but sometimes sleep on the floor next to blind chicken

Bean is my sick girl who is white, Violet is the brown serama, and plum is the barred rock.

Attachments

• IMG_5151.png
    IMG_5151.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_5152.png
    IMG_5152.png
    3 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5154.png
    IMG_5154.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5158.png
    IMG_5158.png
    2 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Still gasping a little bit. Not as much as before. I have changed the water to give her Tylosin for a respiratory infection. I am doing the 7 day treatment. Which I am on day 5. I had to wait for it to arrive.

Back
Top Bottom