Sick hen raspy gurgling.

AZJamie

In the Brooder
Jul 1, 2023
I have a sick hen. She is gurgling when she breathes and lethargic droopy tail feathers. No other hens sick in flock. I separated her and she laid an egg this morning still. No discharge from eyes or nostrils. No worms in poop. She doesn’t cough or sneeze. Any suggestions? Local vets don’t treat chickens so I don’t know what to do. All the google info just has me confused. I looked in her mouth I don’t see what online shows for a gap worm and she’s not stretching her neck out. I noticed about a month ago that she would growl or I thought it was growling. It wasn’t all the time but when she would follow me around and get happy she would make this growling noise like a dinosaur now I’m thinking it was more a sick sound and I missed it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    583.5 KB · Views: 150
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    667.9 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    527 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    651.3 KB · Views: 15
Is that scratch grains she has in front of her? Is that what she eats most of the time, or does she get a balanced chicken feed? Check the crop early in morning before she eats or drinks. What do her poops look like? If her crop is not emptying well, crop contents can come back up into the throat and may sound gurgling when she breathes.

Is that scratch grains she has in front of her? Is that what she eats most of the time, or does she get a balanced chicken feed? Check the crop early in morning before she eats or drinks. What do her poops look like? If her crop is not emptying well, crop contents can come back up into the throat and may sound gurgling when she breathes.
It’s scratch and peck layer feed I usually provide both like this and fermented. She won’t touch any food or water. Her crop feels empty to me. She hasn’t pooped since I separated her just laid the egg after I separated her but no poop

Back
Top Bottom